Type of Greenhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I am wanting to start a small side biz selling hanging baskets, potted outdoor plants etc for spring, summer fall. There are so many greenhouse options to choose from! I live in Pennsylvania so the winters can sometimes get a few feet of snow accumulation, but not all winters. Any specific brands or advice in general?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2010/November%202010/5%20November%202010%20Greenhouse%20Construction/HTML/ 5 November 2010 Greenhouse on Deck.
I decided to build a large greenhouse on the deck, which doesn’t get much use. The enclosure will be a sun room if appropriate, instead of the canvas structure that use to be there. I have a small 10,000 BTU heater that connects to the barbecue natural gas outlet, so will have some warmth, and will get some use during the Winter months. It took nine days to build by myself, about 72 hours of labor, from 28 of October to 5 November, and cost $1798.63.
Description of the construction. Six, 6 by 6 pillars support the structure. The auxiliary supports are all 2 by 6 spruce planks. Two doors were installed plus a window to ensure reasonably good ventilation. I got the doors free of charge. The slope of the roof is from 8 feet to 7 feet, with a pitch of 1 in 12. Sun is available for about two third of the structure all day. Wood was used to cover the walls where no Sun penetrates. Corrugated SUNTUF UV protected panels was used. It is relatively low cost compared to other coverings, and is almost indestructible. Pictures depict highlights of the method used. Plans were in my head.

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 92% of our man-made crops are grown in open fields. In some temperate countries where the climate is unfavorable and crops cannot be grown, we offer a green system that provides protection from extreme cold or heat. "Greenhouse technology is the science of providing a healthy environment for plants. Our greenhouses are buildings covered with woven or other materials that allow the sun, water and air to pass through the gaps. To reduce light or good weather protection. According to its height of 7 meters up to the type of forest in our house Maybe. Now there is a small heater for the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plastic is cheaper than glass, it rattles in the wind, though you can stop that by assembling with silicon sealant round the edges, and it will stay warmer. If you go plastic check out the light transmission rates, different plastics vary.

Glass is better in terms of light and heat retention, but it is heavier and breaks, I have had a storm take out the end panels of my big greenhouse, and it can be nasty if you trip and fall into it.

For a lot of things a cold frame is a much cheaper and more easily assembled option, for what you want most things would be outside other than in winter. I used to have a cold frame made with insulating blocks of foam used in wall cavities and an old double glazed unit on top, that stayed well warm all winter.

I warm the greenhouse with a heater made from an old jar with a hole punched in the lid and a tube of rolled up tin through it. The wick is made from rolled cotton wool pushed through the tube. It burns paraffin and goes under a large terracotta flower pot, the whole pot gets warm, but as you have probably guessed, I am a cheapskate :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I consider my climate too cold to have a functioning greenhouse. Temperature is about minus 5C to minus 20C. I use the greenhouse for conditioning plants for outdoor planting afte two months started in the greenhouse during April and May. Little gets planted outdoors until the beginning of June. There are few if any functioning greenhouses in my area. There are a few large ones growing tomatoes and dreamers growing legal marajuana.

I found plastic Suntuf plastic work fine for the walls. UV does not affeect. But nothing cheap trying to modify the climatic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I consider my climate too cold to have a functioning greenhouse. Temperature is about minus 5C to minus 20C. I use the greenhouse for conditioning plants for outdoor planting afte two months started in the greenhouse during April and May. Little gets planted outdoors until the beginning of June. There are few if any functioning greenhouses in my area. There are a few large ones growing tomatoes and dreamers growing legal marajuana.

I found plastic Suntuf plastic work fine for the walls. UV does not affeect. But nothing cheap trying to modify the climatic.
Truly, insulation is challenging and expensive when clear. The cost per square meter of triple pane Low-E glass necessary for below 0 temps is daunting. The translucent plastics and rough surfaces actually help flow from high to low.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A greenhouse is a building with walls and a roof made of transparent materials, such as glass, especially for growing plants that require a nurturing environment. These buildings grow in size from small rooms to large factory-style structures. The interior of a greenhouse is warmer than the exterior and protects the contents from the cold.

Ask a Question