Type of Apple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 3 apple trees in our garden. Is there anyway of telling what type of apples they are or is it just a matter of waiting till the fruit either grows, or doesn’t?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are so very many varieties, it would be silly to try to identify them - especially down here in Kent. While I'm here Sarah, can I suggest that you might update your profile to let us know which county you are in. It is helpful quite often to have some idea :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought that crab apples had smaller fruit, but that theory didn't hold up, because some are fairly sizeable. It's so good to have and guard labels.
I planted a nice new crab apple a couple of years ago with red leaves, and before I knew it some rotten sod had pinched the label - I don`t reckon I shall ever remember it's name now :confused:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s frustrating!
This is what I had read, and that crab apples can be yellow. We only moved into the house in the Spring so finding out what we have in the garden over the next year as it comes out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is such a wise move. You can find all sorts of treasures with a bit of patience and observation. Too many people have to be drastic and quick and ''instant'' simply isn't what gardening is all about.
I'm particularly fond of crab apple trees, and have bought some saplings from the forestry commission to grow on. They are the wild hedge variety ''sylvestris'' and have white flowers, the birds will love them, and with 4 acres of ground here, there will be oodles of space.
I just might be tempted to spend some grocery money on a few named varieties to mingle in with them :sneaky:

There are some pretty good comparison sites online for these trees.. https://www.treeguideuk.co.uk/crab-apple/ try this one (y)

Ask a Question