Tying tomatoes to a stake

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Which is the main stem, 1 or 2? I need to know this to make sure I tie the right one to the stake. I think it is 1 and 2 is the leaf though I'm not sure. How do you tell?
IMG_20200814_145004.jpg

This is 1 from a different angle.
IMG_20200814_145240.jpg

It looks like 1 is splitting into 3 stems. Looks like 1st stem is a leaf, the second stem is a flower cluster, and 3rd stem is a flower cluster also. I didn't think that stems could split. Do they do that? Should I cut any of them? Is there a sucker/side shoot here? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Which is the main stem, 1 or 2? I need to know this to make sure I tie the right one to the stake. I think it is 1 and 2 is the leaf though I'm not sure. How do you tell?
View attachment 70129
This is 1 from a different angle.
View attachment 70128
It looks like 1 is splitting into 3 stems. Looks like 1st stem is a leaf, the second stem is a flower cluster, and 3rd stem is a flower cluster also. I didn't think that stems could split. Do they do that? Should I cut any of them? Is there a sucker/side shoot here? Thanks.
1 is the one you want to tie up. When it grows more you will see what to tie up easier.

Ask a Question