Trim lower leaves on determinate tomatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know to trim the lower leaves on indeterminate varieties to keep them from getting diseases with water spraying them, but is it suggested to do this with the determinate ones or do it both varieties? I'm guessing it's o k to do it with the determinate type even though they fruit differently. I would be grateful for help. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. Now another question: my tomatoes have been plagued with early blight for three years. I have moved them to a brand new bed and bought a spray that addresses this disease. Do I use it at the first sign of blight or as a preventative spraying when the leaves are dry before being attacked by the disease?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use copper in rotation with a serenade type bacillus with good success since its use. My tomatoes would eventually dry out. Since copper and bacillus they survive until frost.

Anyone who has or has had blight will continue to get it. The biggest mistake is not continually spraying or spraying at planting. If you know you have it begin spraying before you have the problem. Even with spray the disease moves it's way up but a lot slower rate. Constant trimming of the bottom leaves on indeterminates to keep them going all year. The determinate varities seem more resistant. Those do extremely well for me.

MOD

Ask a Question