Tree has few leaves on the top year after year

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,
The tree in picture, which I don't really know the name for, has been only leafing on the top. Many small branches in the inside are there but look dead and no leaves.

What could be the problem? I am in eastern ontario in Canada.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230615_180310.jpg
    20230615_180310.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230610_120540.jpg
    20230610_120540.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Country
United States
Between the houses and the fence, the amount of sun is limited. Also if you remove the gravel or wood chips from around the base of the tree and put some quality compost there the plant may do better.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I had an apple tree that had that problem. There was nothing visual like fungus or caterpillars I could see that would cause it. I cut it down and was surprised to see ants had made tunnels in the trunk. So maybe look around the base to see if there are any ants. It might not be the same problem but worth checking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO the tree is in its last stage of life. If there are ants all they are doing is feeding on dead wood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6b
Country
Canada
There's a similar tree with green leaves in my backyard and it had the same issue. Same long branches with very little leaves. I cut all the large branches and left a 4ft stump thinking that it was going to be removed with the excavation. The tree started growing brand new branches and it has never looked better. I decided to leave it alone and a second chance at life.

DSC01175.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, that looks very pretty and healthy but that's not the same kind of tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The first tree is a Purple-leaf Plum. It looks like maybe a tie was left on and the tree grew around it. The constriction could be causing an interruption of nutrient flow. You could do something like Consistency and cut it below the swelling and see if things improve. There will be a weak spot in the trunk, but since it's a small tree it should be okay.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That may be where it was grafted. It's strange looking.

That's what I was thinking too. It would have more of a bubble on both ends with a indent if it was something cutting into it. I see that a lot in trees from fence wire and it doesn't look like that. Most of the time unless it's an evergreen a tree will grow shoots around the stump but once it is like a plant that grows toward the sun in a window, they will be a disaster after a few years. I do a lot of clear cutting for lumber and firewood and those shoots never make it into full grown trees rarely.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you all. I don't remember leaving anything to constrict the growth. I can't find anything now. I guess I'll try to fertilize, pur some ant traps? and maybe cut it down? I am afraid if I cut more from the top nothing will come up.

Thanks for trying...

Ask a Question