Transplanting zinnia

Reaction score
I sowed Zinnia seeds on 19 of April.They have grown about 3 inches with 4-5 leaves.Is it time to transplant them?
Could they be grown in containers? what size?

Reaction score
Yeah I think it should do okay. I have always grown Zinnias in containers as I have only a container garden. I use an eight inch pot for a single plant to get the best of the plant.. however my friend uses a six in dia pot and does have any issues.. however, I notice that my flowers are always bigger than hers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grow my zinnias in containers as well. Someone had given me a kit that came with a packet of seeds, growing medium and a tiny clay pot. The pot was maybe two inches so I only started one or two seeds. I put the rest of the seeds in a pot outdoors. The magic growing medium sprouted the seed almost immediately and the outdoor seeds took a week or two, I forget. Anyway, they were extremely tall, too tall for their container. Because of that, I recommend planting your zinnias in a container that has some depth if you're not putting them in the ground.

Reaction score
Thank you maddie and ChanellG for the tips.I dont have vacant space in the ground and will be transplanting the seedlings in the containers.So it means they have deeper root system and larger container is needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Khan, it isn't so much that they have deeper root systems, it''s that the flower stalks can grow quite tall. They don't stand up well in a too shallow pot. I ended up using a tall pot and a tomato cage for mine. I believe if I had planted them in the ground they would have done much better.

Ask a Question