Too Much Bermuda Grass in the Cannas

Reaction score
Country
United States
These Cannas have been there 30-40 years. There’s always been some weeds but not like this.
If I let it be will the Bermuda grass inhibit the cannas? I spose it’s Bermuda grass.
My first thought was to hand clip the grass down way low (what a drag) then squirt or brush Roundup on it carefully missing the Cannas - would that soak in and hurt the Canna bulbs?
What's to do? Anything? Nothing?

Cannas N Grass.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would just spray the grass as it is with roundup carefully.
go slow and avoid getting any over spray on the cannas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would just spray the grass as it is with roundup carefully.
go slow and avoid getting any over spray on the cannas
Thanx-
Well I should probly wait till all the shoots have emerged & matured late in the summer. That way I could safely (hopefully) shoot around the bigger stalks. Maybe the grass will act as living mulch keeping the moisture in till then. Temps here are 90 - 110+.
Addendum:
I just now Googled the problem (finally). There is a product, Grass b Gon Garden Grass Killer, that evidently doesn’t kill ornamentals especially if you are very careful. Never heard of it. Less severe than Roundup. Still gotta be careful and wash off overspray. It should be possible to fashion a flexible spray shield. The reviews were mixed; about half-n-half 5 star vs 1 star.
- VF

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Both Fusilade, fluazifop-P-butyl (the active ingredient in Grass-b-Gone) and Poast, sethoxydim,will kill Bermudagrass without killing the Cannas. There is a spreader-sticker with Poast that can burn the cannas but won't kill it.
Like glyphosate they are systemic and take time to kill the grass completely. Neither one will kill nutgrass which is a sedge and not a grass.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It worked! Grass-b-Gone close to the stems and Roundup (150%) in the open. Needs more G-b-G by the stems. Worked lots faster than expected.
Gone-be-Gone.JPG

Ask a Question