How to amend too much nitrogen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I added aged rabbit manure and compost in the winter to a bed where I had asparagus for5 years without them producing much. This spring I planted eggplant and poblano peppers in this bed. The peppers are growing very tall and look beautiful except there's no fruit. A couple of flowers have come and gone and I'm wondering if it due to the extra nitrogen I put in for the asparagus? If that is the case, is there something I could add to the soil around the plants to help them produce fruit? I'm in zone 8b Southeast Coastal Georgia and the plants are 2 and a half to 3 feet tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, it is not too much nitrogen. FRESH rabbit manure has an N value of 2.4% and dried aged rabbit manure has even less. What you are probably missing is phosphorus which makes for blooms. Was the manure and compost the only thing you added?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes it was. What could I add now for the phosphorous? I have some organic fertilizer, Dr. Earth. Would that work or is there a better source of phosphorous?
If you are not an organic gardener use a small amount of a product called Triple Phosphate. If you are an organic gardener use fish bone meal. Fish bone meal is faster acting than regular cow bone meal and has a slightly higher P number. Adding manures also raises P levels. Or, you can use Rock Phosphate. Your Dr. Earth is an excellent fertilizer with a higher P number than most other organic fertilizers. If it were me I would just add a big serving of the Dr. Earth and maybe a handful of Fish Bone Meal if you have it and if not regular bone meal or rock phosphate. Give your Pablanos a little more time. My peppers are just now getting started good.

Ask a Question