too big too quick?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! :) I was wondering if any green thumbs could help me? I was recently given a beautiful well established ivy. On closer inspection I could see a few of the top leaves were yellow and when I lifted the pot could see the roots were growing through the drainage holes.

I decided to re-pot it into a bigger home but now i'm worried it is maybe too large/deep for it? It is quite a big plant! And as a total noob I am worried I will kill it with kindness which would be so sad! Any help or advice would be much appreciated it. I have included some pics of it next to it's old pot. Thank you in advance! :)

Attachments

• 20180330_192819.jpg
    20180330_192819.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 20180330_192828.jpg
    20180330_192828.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 315

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you're worried, layer a few more branches in the same pot or take some cuttings with a bit of roots and use another pot to make sure that you have an heir and a few spares. They grow roots every easily, especially when you take cuttings with roots, but the best way is NOT to cut the tendrils, but scrape a bit before and after some leaf node and buried the area so that it can send out roots. That way, you don't run the risk of killing the cuttings and the mother plants will still feed the branch while it is trying to send down roots. You can do it to several branches. Once they have proper roots, you can cut them and repot them.

Ask a Question