Tomatoes: organic, start from seed, buy from the nursery?

Reaction score
For the last few years I started with seedlings for my tomatoes, but I'm thinking about starting some from seeds this year. I start most of my garden plants from seed anyway, but I was always taught to buy tomatoes seedlings. I think I was taught that to make sure that I had at least a few healthy plants in the garden. I've bought my seed starting soil already, and within a few weeks I'll start my seeds.

I'll still plant a few seedlings I buy from our local "plant lady" just to make sure I have a few healthy plants. What can I say, old habits die hard.

Reaction score
I'd buy seedlings, but not from typical Walmart type places (unless they are selling a good organic company's heirloom plants). I'd probably check-out online nurseries, and as I said, get some good heirloom stock. I find that they're usually better quality plants with better flavour. I've been going to an Aussie nursery www.diggers.com.au, but probably no good to you if you're in the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I usually do a mix of both types. Lowes has a good variety of healthy starts, so I like to get mine there, but if you like heirloom and more of the old fashioned, unusual tomatoes, then you need to buy seed for those. I had Cherokee Purple and they have a lot of flavor, and awesome color. I saved some seeds, and am planting those for this year. I also looked on eBay and got some Sausage tomatoes, like a Roma, but longer and larger. I am trying a smaller dark purple tomato that is between a cherry and a Roma in size. It is called Indigo Rose. The pictures of it are awesome, here it is !
image.jpg

Ask a Question