Organic solution for tomatoes?

Reaction score
I've grown some tomatoes in the past but they really start getting eaten up by the bugs rather quickly. Has anyone on here had success growing tomatoes organically? Is there a specific kind of tomato that repels bugs better? I would like to stay away from the harsh chemicals if I try tomatoes again next year.

Reaction score
I just remembered that a tomato is a fruit and not a veggie. Sorry this is in the wrong category.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums :)

Don't worry, bean pods are fruits too, but because they are used in mainly savory dishes, most people classify them as veg :)

Don't have many problems with things eating my tomatoes, but I do spray against blight, which can destroy the crop. I only use Bordeaux mixture which can be washed off before eating.

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with anything other than blight on my tomatoes and for that I consider myself fortunate. Go to a garden center and ask them what would help and be less toxic on the bugs. Try the Organic Gardening website too.

Reaction score
Basil! Basil is a companion plant to tomatoes. It has always kept the bugs off for me. Doesn't seem to matter which kind of basil. But honestly I do have a variety, or at least I did and it always worked. I don't have any tomatoes going right now. But I had to plant them pretty close. They do love each other and it always worked for me. Best wishes. :)

Ask a Question