Tomato suckers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I know, tomatoes are fruit not veg, it just seems more appropriate here.

I visited my brother in law the other day and he showed me a glass full of tomato suckers he had had in water for a week or so, they were all rooting well.
It is a bit late in the year this year, but he reckons if he gets himself one tomato early on next year he will be able to fill the greenhouse from it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they root in about a week and start really strong once you plant them out. I use the side shoots that I pinch out from my cordons

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is easy to do, even for the novice, with indeterminate tomatoes
With F1 tomato seeds very quickly approaching £1 each, this only makes sense.
The only point I'd make, is that if you get a 4" (10cm) plant pot full of compost & soak it, and place your "cutting" in it, you'll probably end up with a >90% success rate, & the roots will be far stronger.
It is also possible to do this with cucumbers, albeit with a lower success rate (approx. 50%)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they root in about a week and start really strong once you plant them out. I use the side shoots that I pinch out from my cordons
This is easy to do, even for the novice, with indeterminate tomatoes
With F1 tomato seeds very quickly approaching £1 each, this only makes sense.
The only point I'd make, is that if you get a 4" (10cm) plant pot full of compost & soak it, and place your "cutting" in it, you'll probably end up with a >90% success rate, & the roots will be far stronger.
It is also possible to do this with cucumbers, albeit with a lower success rate (approx. 50%)
Never tried cucumbers but always up for trying something new. I do have success with planting single chits from potatoes, saves a fortune and gives a good crop

Ask a Question