Tomato rotening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What you are using as organic solution for tomato rotening?
Explain the rot. Is it only on the bottoms, sort of flat and blackish or dark brown color? Or is it higher up on the shoulder of the tomato, a light brown soft rot.

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
Explain the rot. Is it only on the bottoms, sort of flat and blackish or dark brown color? Or is it higher up on the shoulder of the tomato, a light brown soft rot.
It s on the bottom of tomato, it's just soft and mild brown, I just noticed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It s on the bottom of tomato, it's just soft and mild brown, I just noticed
What you have is called Blossom End Rot. Where I live it is caused by the plant being unable to uptake calcium although there is plenty of calcium available. The cure is to put 2 or 3 handfuls of Epsom Salts around the base of the plant and out to the drip line of the plant. It will not fix tomatoes already affected but will stop further damage. In some soils irregular watering causes this

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
I searched Internet for Epson Solt and it say it s for plants with lack of Magnesium and not Calcium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I searched Internet for Epson Solt and it say it s for plants with lack of Magnesium and not Calcium.
Trust me. I could try to explain how the sulfur and magnesium change the balance of calcium but it is too long and complicated. Just try it. It won't hurt a thing. In fact many gardeners use Epsom Salts on all of their plants for many things.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Trust me. I could try to explain how the sulfur and magnesium change the balance of calcium but it is too long and complicated. Just try it. It won't hurt a thing. In fact many gardeners use Epsom Salts on all of their plants for many things.
Excessive magnesium actually blocks the absorption of calcium, there are many articles that state this. Epsom salts are not good unless there is a magnesium deficiency which is fairly uncommon. https://tomatogeek.com/epsom-salt-tomatoes/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Excessive magnesium actually blocks the absorption of calcium, there are many articles that state this. Epsom salts are not good unless there is a magnesium deficiency which is fairly uncommon. https://tomatogeek.com/epsom-salt-tomatoes/
All I will say about this is that in highly alkaline soils it works at preventing and stopping BER. And in my 60+ years as a commercial grower and home gardener it works each and every time. In fact it works on just about everything in the garden, but, if your mind is made up don't try it. It is not my tomato's that get BER

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My
All I will say about this is that in highly alkaline soils it works at preventing and stopping BER. And in my 60+ years as a commercial grower and home gardener it works each and every time. In fact it works on just about everything in the garden, but, if your mind is made up don't try it. It is not my tomato's that get BER
You are talking about a specific soil condition, not normal balanced ph soil. I have never had BER on my tomatoes. There are countless articles out there that say the same thing. Epsom salts should only ever be used if there is a magnesium deficiency otherwise it can contribute to BER as it block calcium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My

You are talking about a specific soil condition, not normal balanced ph soil. I have never had BER on my tomatoes. There are countless articles out there that say the same thing. Epsom salts should only ever be used if there is a magnesium deficiency otherwise it can contribute to BER as it block calcium.
Actually I am talking about more soil conditions than just mine. It also works in acidic soils of east Texas and if many members of this forum are not lying it works in many more places across the US as well.

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
I find some ideas that include egg shells, any experience with this, and if you do have could you provide me with recipe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I find some ideas that include egg shells, any experience with this, and if you do have could you provide me with recipe?
Egg shells are a source of calcium but they are very slow to break down into a form a plant can uptake. The finer you can crush them up the faster they can decompose, but even so, they are still slow. Most soils already have plenty of calcium in it but for some reason it just isn't available to plants. The recipe is just to crush them up as fine as possible and incorporate them into your soil

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
What about making tea from egg shell, did anyone try this? Recepie is Boil a gallon of water, and then add 10 clean and dry eggshells to it. For a stronger brew, add the shells of up to 20 eggs. Let the shells sit in the water overnight, and then strain the water. Can this be applied foliarly or just by watering? Did any one try this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about making tea from egg shell, did anyone try this? Recepie is Boil a gallon of water, and then add 10 clean and dry eggshells to it. For a stronger brew, add the shells of up to 20 eggs. Let the shells sit in the water overnight, and then strain the water. Can this be applied foliarly or just by watering? Did any one try this?
I've never done it but it might work. It can't hurt anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think it would make a calcium tea at all since the eggshells would have to dissolve into the water. The water you boil them with probably already has more calcium in it, at least it would where I live. However the boiling might soften up the eggshells for them to breakdown faster in the soil, not sure.

Ask a Question