Identifying Tomato Damage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Hey All,

I have several tomatoes that are suffering from discoloration on their leaves and I am having issues identifying what the issue is (disease or nutrients).

Just a little backstory so you know the cause of my problems. In order to save money (because you know, inflation lol), my wife and I purchased compost from our local dump where they process yard and kitchen waste and turn it into a very inexpensive compost option. One thing I totally didn't think of is that if they do not cook the compost properly (and I do not think they do now) is that all the meats, fats, weeds and diseased plants are in there and not cooked off, you can run into serious issues. I also ran an NPK test and the soil has virtually no nutrients at all. Potassium didn't even register a color it came up clear :S

So I am unsure if this discoloration is disease or the plants having to battle with no nutrients at all. I added a picture of what my peppers look like as well.

I appreciate any and all advice on identifying the issues. I have already taken steps to amend the soil (blood+bone meals and seaweed) and protect from fungus (sulphur and grass mulch around plants to protect against ground spray).

Thanks!

Attachments

• San-Marzano-2.jpg
    San-Marzano-2.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Blau-Zimmertomate-1.jpg
    Blau-Zimmertomate-1.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Pepper-1.jpg
    Pepper-1.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 16
  • San-Marzano-3.jpg
    San-Marzano-3.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 17
  • San-Marzano-1.jpg
    San-Marzano-1.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The main problem I see in all of the pictures is a lack of micro-nutrients, in the second picture especially it is a lack of magnesium. In all of the rest of the pictures it shows a lack of most of the other micro-nutrients as well. Macro-nutrients are also lacking but not to the extent of the micro-nutrients. I would fertilize with a good organic fertilizer to bring back NPK levels AND I would start using a soil drench with the liquid seaweed to start bringing back micro-nutrients. Plus I would give them all a couple of handfulls of Epsom Salts. Your plants are in a state of stress. I would also spray them with hydrogen peroxide and also a baking soda spray to ward off any fungal problems that may and probably will arise.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, they look starved of nutrients allright, Sounds like you are already doing the right thing with blood and bone and sea weed, not sure about the Epsom salts, peroxide and baking powder, I never use anything like that, but so long as you don't overdo it I guess they won't hurt. The other one I would recommend is wood ash, I pick up any spare wood I see about for burning clay, but it is also a good source of potash, potassium.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Thanks Chuck and Oliver, this is a great relief! I can amend the soil, fungal battles are another story completely! This give me hope thank you :)

With regards to seaweed, I have never actually used it. How long before rain is forecasted should it be applied either as 1) a foliar spray or 2) a ground soak? Not sure if the timing is different for both those usages.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck and Oliver, this is a great relief! I can amend the soil, fungal battles are another story completely! This give me hope thank you :)

With regards to seaweed, I have never actually used it. How long before rain is forecasted should it be applied either as 1) a foliar spray or 2) a ground soak? Not sure if the timing is different for both those usages.
You can apply Liquid Seaweed any time as a drench but as a foliar spray I don't know. I only use it as a foliar spray to deter spider mites, but I would surmise probably about 1-2 hours just in order for the nutrients to be absorbed into the plant via the transpiration process.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Hey All, I just wanted to thank you for your advice. A week ago I supplemented with a 50/50 mix of bone and bloodmeal followed by a kelp 0-0-3 foliar watering (enough to get the soil wet too). I can say all my treated plants have seen tremendous growth since then, especially my onions!

Thanks a million for your help :)

Ask a Question