Tomato question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first time growing bush tomatoes. Do I trim off the bottom leaves like I do with regular tomatoes?
Also, when or do I add epsom salts to the tomatoes? Last season I had trouble with blight. I let the beds bare in the sun all season. Is there something else I can do to help avoid blight?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If one is having trouble with Early Blight you should remove the lower limbs to avoid soil splashing up onto the leaves during a heavy rain. You should also cover the ground around the base and out to the drip line of the plant with mulch. If you know the approximate time of the year when blight starts to show you can also start a spray regimen of Neem Oil to help fight off infections. Do not overhead water. Remove any yellowing leaves and stems as the disease progresses up the plant. I don't believe that there is a complete remedy against Early Blight but if you do these things you will buy enough time for a complete harvest. Epsom salts has nothing to do with blight. It is more of a soil additive. It should be used at planting and possibly throughout the growing season. If you also have a possible spider mite problem, spray with a liquid seaweed at the same time you spray the Neem Oil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would follow Chuck's advice. I cover my soil with straw after transplanting to keep the soil off the plants as long as possible.
I had a couple of short bush tomatoes last year than only grew about 18" tall, Lizzannos and Red Robins.
08-06-21 01 first Lizzano cluster ripening.jpg

They produced well and I never fought blight last year. I got lots of little tomatoes though.

Ask a Question