Tomato plant question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have two tomato plants that are doing very well. Both are caged but have some leaves that didn't make it within the cage. Some of the leaves have nice tomatoes on them now and are starting to hang a little low. Could I use some string and tie this up to the cage or would this do some damage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have two tomato plants that are doing very well. Both are caged but have some leaves that didn't make it within the cage. Some of the leaves have nice tomatoes on them now and are starting to hang a little low. Could I use some string and tie this up to the cage or would this do some damage?
It won't hurt a thing to tie up the limbs and it would be a smart thing to do

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I hang string from the greenhouse roof to support mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you're worrying about damaging the vines you can get something called Miracle Garden Tie. It's green plastic "tape" that you can tear off at the length you need and tie things to supports. You'll see it often on nursery plants that are secured to those small trellises or bamboo hoops.

cschiavoni

Caitlin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought some plant "velcro" on Amazon and I love it. Doesn't dig into the stems but sturdy support and can be easily moved and adjusted as the plant grows. Highly recommend! My tomato plants did the same thing. Sly little stems made their way all over the place so fast I couldn't correct it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I use simple twist ties and loosely tie the stems to my balcony railing. I live in a second floor apartment, so that's the way to go for me. Some people who plant in large beds simply hang string across the field and tie up the stems to that. Whatever works for you is fine. The tomato is fairly sturdy so I would definitely go for it. I like to make sure that there is at least one leaf stem holding up the tie, so the whole plant doesn't just slide down the frame.

Ask a Question