Tomato plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time posting here. I’ve got a tomato plant, my daughter and I started it from seed late last year in maybe early december. took a while to break ground but it did and i’m getting ready to transplant her now to a bigger pot. it’s a pretty small plant but it’s producing flowers, and i’m trying to see what i’m going to do with it and trying to see maybe what kind of tomato plant it might be as i forgot which variety we planted. Here are some pictures of the plant. also trying to decide if i should pick these flowers and let her keep going. going to be transplanting her in to a nice organic living soil maybe 5-7 gallon fabric pot. any tips or help identifying would be awesome!!

A1C8C122-11E4-4E02-B6C6-7977E36ABE2D.jpeg
1AE12D94-46FC-440A-B3A2-C701D1A1509A.jpeg
124D7F03-2A1A-4A3E-9543-F03E9CCC0E62.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not a potato leaf variety. The stem is really dark so that may be a clue. I've never grown one that looks dark like that so I don't know. Maybe a black tomato? You will know more when you get a ripe tomato.

I always leave the blooms on. I think I see a fungus gnat too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The purple stems are caused by the plant staying too cold but otherwise the plant looks pretty good considering. If the leaves were also turning purple it would be a nutrition issue, a lack of phosphorus, but, just the stems turning purple means it stayed too cold. Tomatoes are hot weather plants. Tomatoes only set fruit during nighttime hours. With nighttime temperatures over 74F and below about 63F it will be extremely unlikely that the plant will set fruit. There is no need to pick the flowers as the plant will self abort if the temperatures are not correct. On this particular plant I would pinch off the first set of blooms but not any more than that. This will encourage root growth. Also, since you don't know if the plant is a determinate or indeterminate picking any more blooms could be very detrimental to production if the plant is a determinate type. You really need to put the plant outside during the day if temperatures are above 55F. The plant is stunted and I am sure it has a minimal root structure but it may grow out of it when you place the plant outdoors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The purple stems are caused by the plant staying too cold but otherwise the plant looks pretty good considering. If the leaves were also turning purple it would be a nutrition issue, a lack of phosphorus, but, just the stems turning purple means it stayed too cold. Tomatoes are hot weather plants. Tomatoes only set fruit during nighttime hours. With nighttime temperatures over 74F and below about 63F it will be extremely unlikely that the plant will set fruit. There is no need to pick the flowers as the plant will self abort if the temperatures are not correct. On this particular plant I would pinch off the first set of blooms but not any more than that. This will encourage root growth. Also, since you don't know if the plant is a determinate or indeterminate picking any more blooms could be very detrimental to production if the plant is a determinate type. You really need to put the plant outside during the day if temperatures are above 55F. The plant is stunted and I am sure it has a minimal root structure but it may grow out of it when you place the plant outdoors.
thanks! a lot of good info! i’m in southern california zone 10 and it’s been colder than normal lately and more rain than the last years. today i brought it in cause of the weather. i’m sure it may be stunted as well. I’m hoping transplanting her will help it take off. and i will pick these first sets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
,They like moisture , they like food. I use farmyard manure in my pots about one part to three or four of good compost, depends how much I have and how I feel on the day :)
Plant it good and deep, you lose some of that legginess and the buried part of the stem will grow more roots. Some say don't bother, those extra roots don't do much, but I always feel they must do something and help stability.

Ask a Question