Tomato Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my first year trying to grow vegetables, specifically tomatoes and cucumbers. I was sitting on the beach yesterday listening to friends talking about how their plants have lots of tomatoes and one person is already picking them. My sister has been picking cucumbers for a while.
Meanwhile, look out at my tomato and cucumber plants an d wonder why they are not doing well.

I bought the plants from a farm, I know the plants are good quality. I planted them in good soil (not the cheap stuff) from a garden center. I didn’t think they were getting enough water so I hooked up irrigation that waters the plants 2x a day for 20 minutes, once at 2am and again at 2pm. The timer is a once a day twice a day, 3 times a day timer. I feed the plants once a week with miracle gro vegetable fertilizer.

Why would the tomato leaves be brown? Do they need more water? The tomato on the vine does not seem to be getting much bigger. The other tomato plant isn’t doing anything. I am starting to get dukes.
What more can I do, besides stapling store bought tomatoes to the vines so I can show friends how well my tomato plants are also doing.
IMG_7371.jpeg
IMG_7374.jpeg
IMG_7372.jpeg
IMG_7373.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'd say it's caused from a watering problem probably too much. I don't know how much that pumps out twice a day but sounds like twice a day is a lot. And maybe uneven watering looking at that set up. I always suggest anyone who doesn't know how much moisture is in their soil should buy a moisture reader, they are cheap and work better then having no idea. Also if you are using cold public water full of chlorine in the middle of the afternoon when the heat of the sun is beating down on them in those black bags is too harsh on a plant. I would get a moisture reader off Amazon and if possible give them rain water (unless you are on a well) but definitely figure out how soggy those roots are.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Come to think of it the water left in that copper pipe and hose sitting in the sun each time it turns on and runs into the roots at 2pm is probably hot enough to make soup.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yeah. too much of the wrong kind of love. Drainage is not good. Water equals drowning, not tomatoes. Next time the balance will be better but for now pull the frankenstien plugs out and just use your finger to tell if it is dry or moist or wet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whole bunch of what.

Too much water. They are burning up Black Bags draw heat like was mentioned first water in afternoon is hot.

I have room to talk I'm using some Black Bags and Pots but lots of my stuff I moved to the shade because it is just too hot.

My Tomatoes are about done even though I know they will produce until frost.

big rockpile

Ask a Question