Tomatillo Trouble

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Hey Friends,

It appears my tomatillo plant is experiencing some form of stress and I am not sure why. Leaves and Fruit have started to turn yellow and fall off. The plant was doing so well up until the last couple of weeks. What's going on?

Full Sun
Fertilized every two weeks with Happy Frog Tomato Fertilizer
Water Daily (tried every other day but lots of wilting occurred
3 Gallon Planter
Mulched with Cedar Bark
Zone 5/6

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
IMG_20180705_161137.jpg
MVIMG_20180705_161155.jpg
MVIMG_20180705_161206.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Some yellowing is normal. How large is the fruit that yellows and falls off?

Fruit is very small, the more mature fruit has managed to stay green. Over 1/3rd of the leaves are turning yellow and almost all the new fruits have turned yellow or have fallen off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Fruit is very small, the more mature fruit has managed to stay green. Over 1/3rd of the leaves are turning yellow and almost all the new fruits have turned yellow or have fallen off.
Tomatillos are sort of like tomatoes in regards to setting fruit. If the temperature isn't right they won't set but I think your problem is too much water too often. You mentioned wilting. Does the wilting occur in the early morning or in the heat of the afternoon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Tomatillos are sort of like tomatoes in regards to setting fruit. If the temperature isn't right they won't set but I think your problem is too much water too often. You mentioned wilting. Does the wilting occur in the early morning or in the heat of the afternoon.

If I skip a day with watering the plant stays wilted until I water it again. Morning, afternoon, night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I skip a day with watering the plant stays wilted until I water it again. Morning, afternoon, night.
It is not fatal for a plant to be wilted for a period of time due to dryness. The plant is probably waterlogged which also causes wilting. Don't water for a few days and see if the plant perks up. They are like tomatoes and like it on the dry side. Just think...........does it rain every other day...... no it doesn't. So why try to make the plant think it's normal for it to do so?
And when you do water completely saturate the soil, until water stands on the surface of the soil. Then don't water for about 6-8 days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
It is not fatal for a plant to be wilted for a period of time due to dryness. The plant is probably waterlogged which also causes wilting. Don't water for a few days and see if the plant perks up. They are like tomatoes and like it on the dry side. Just think...........does it rain every other day...... no it doesn't. So why try to make the plant think it's normal for it to do so?
And when you do water completely saturate the soil, until water stands on the surface of the soil. Then don't water for about 6-8 days.

That makes sense, I will try this out. Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have experienced the same thing, as well as leaf yellowing, but with veins of leaves remaining green. Is this a nutritional deficiency? I don’t fertilize regularly, counting on the soil that is fertilized with chicken poop in the fall to be nutrient-rich all year. I did add compost/mulch about a month ago. Is this a mistake?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I have experienced the same thing, as well as leaf yellowing, but with veins of leaves remaining green. Is this a nutritional deficiency? I don’t fertilize regularly, counting on the soil that is fertilized with chicken poop in the fall to be nutrient-rich all year. I did add compost/mulch about a month ago. Is this a mistake?
Depends on the nitrogen content of what you added and what is already available to the plants in the soil. Too much nitrogen at this point is not a good thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it planted in dirt or potting mix?

Check the pH of the planting medium. If it is way high, then it sounds like an iron deficiency. If it is way low, then it sounds like a magnesium deficiency. The plant wont pull up the nutrient in the soil, if it is there, if the pH is way off. Hard to believe you have a micronutrient deficiency when using chicken manure and compost so I would assume it is in the soil. You may be able to add epsom salt or ferrous sulfate (depending on what the pH is) to the soil to force the plant to uptake more but you will still have to fix the pH problem if it is way off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depends on the nitrogen content of what you added and what is already available to the plants in the soil. Too much nitrogen at this point is not a good thing.
I also neglected to mention that there are little spots and holes on the leaves, especially on the lower part of the plant. Is this due to a fungus? I don't see any evidence of bugs...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it planted in dirt or potting mix?

Check the pH of the planting medium. If it is way high, then it sounds like an iron deficiency. If it is way low, then it sounds like a magnesium deficiency. The plant wont pull up the nutrient in the soil, if it is there, if the pH is way off. Hard to believe you have a micronutrient deficiency when using chicken manure and compost so I would assume it is in the soil. You may be able to add epsom salt or ferrous sulfate (depending on what the pH is) to the soil to force the plant to uptake more but you will still have to fix the pH problem if it is way off.
Thank you for this advice. The dirt is 30/70 compost to organic soil in a raised bed. Definitely not just potting soil. Is there a kit for detecting pH at the garden store?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try mulching around your plants with hay to help hold the water longer and keep the roots cooler.

Ask a Question