Growing tomatillos in the Netherlands

Reaction score
Hi there! It's no secret I'll be moving to the Netherlands (most likely next year), I plan to grow several things there, mostly tomatillos and chillies, because I use those often in my cooking and have never seen tomatillos in Amsterdam. I'll be getting a small greenhouse, I was told our yard will be getting quite a bit sunlight (if there is any sun, because most of the times it is cloudy and windy over there).

Anyways, is there something I should consider before I even think of growing tomatillos over there??? Any advice would be appreciated. Also... does anyone know of any good reputable European heirloom seeds provider???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay. I have never heard of tomatillos.... Is this a hybrid or are your meaning tomatoes and peppers? It doesn't say where you are now, so I'm not sure what the difference in the zones would be like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay. I have never heard of tomatillos.... Is this a hybrid or are your meaning tomatoes and peppers? It doesn't say where you are now, so I'm not sure what the difference in the zones would be like.
Tomatillos are also called husk tomatoes. They are a must for any connoisseur of Mexican food and salsas. They growth habit is much like that of a tomato except the fruit starts out as a light green paper like sphere sometimes larger than a golf ball. The actual fruit grows inside the papery husk and when the husk is golden brown they are ripe. They must have very warm weather to produce properly. I doubt that they will thrive in Amsterdam

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm not too good on the veggie patch but I do seem to be able to grow tomatoes, especially the cherry variety. Maybe I could give tomatillos a go next season. They sound interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not too good on the veggie patch but I do seem to be able to grow tomatoes, especially the cherry variety. Maybe I could give tomatillos a go next season. They sound interesting.
With your growing season why wait until next year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm way down south so even here it's too cold I'm afraid. I'm trying silver beet again and it grows well for most people but mine usually looks a bit dismal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know nothing about growing anything in the Netherlands - I really think it's time for you to find a Facebook or other online garden group that's actually located there. That said, someone just gave me ground cherry plants - which are similar in appearance to tomatillos. Can't wait to see how things turn out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm going to have to look them up. It's really temperate here, but I might decide to do a small greenhouse after my brain surgery. I'm still sticking with a small garden this year. I have a long recovery ahead. It's so hard because I want to do everything now! There is so much potential! ha!

Reaction score
I know nothing about growing anything in the Netherlands - I really think it's time for you to find a Facebook or other online garden group that's actually located there. That said, someone just gave me ground cherry plants - which are similar in appearance to tomatillos. Can't wait to see how things turn out!

I'd would, but I don't speak dutch :( Not yet at least... I'm working on that, but my dutch is still so basic. I've tried to find gardening groups with people living in that area, but so far everyone there seems to speak dutch. I might have to find a different gardening forum as well :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd would, but I don't speak dutch :( Not yet at least... I'm working on that, but my dutch is still so basic. I've tried to find gardening groups with people living in that area, but so far everyone there seems to speak dutch. I might have to find a different gardening forum as well :(

Most of my family lives in Europe and in my experience many Europeans speak (and write) better English than people here! So I bet if you could figure out a FB page or forum or something and post in English you'd still get plenty of responses. Or use one of the many translating tools online.

I'm going to try tomatillos this year for the first time. Don't know what to do with them other than salsa verde but I'll figure that out as I go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Ever hear of Meetup.com? It's a site where you can join a social or activity group based on an interest you have, and I'm sure there are other people who've moved there and had to learn how to sort these same things out that you can communicate with. There's actually another gardening forum of mostly Europeans who can likely help you with what grows best over there. @zigs will know if any of them are in the Netherlands...

Reaction score
Ever hear of Meetup.com? It's a site where you can join a social or activity group based on an interest you have, and I'm sure there are other people who've moved there and had to learn how to sort these same things out that you can communicate with. There's actually another gardening forum of mostly Europeans who can likely help you with what grows best over there. @zigs will know if any of them are in the Netherlands...

Thanks! I had heard about that site, but to be honest I have never checked it. I'll surely give it a try, a friend told me he used it to meet other expats living over there. I thought of doing the same, but was waiting to get there. It's ok, I'm sure I'll find one later on ;) Just wait until my dutch is better and I will tell you. I'll surely post pictures here,

Reaction score
Most of my family lives in Europe and in my experience many Europeans speak (and write) better English than people here! So I bet if you could figure out a FB page or forum or something and post in English you'd still get plenty of responses. Or use one of the many translating tools online.

I'm going to try tomatillos this year for the first time. Don't know what to do with them other than salsa verde but I'll figure that out as I go.

You'd be surprised ;) My father in law doesn't speak a word of english, the older generation in the Netherlands seem not do so well with english. Younger generations are doing better though. English is ok, but speaking dutch is better in the Netherlands, same online. I might try finding a happy group of expats online ;) Meanwhile I'm still working on my dutch.

You can make salads with them too ;) I use them as the base of several dishes, not so often though, but it is nice to have some just in case.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We've not got any Dutch members active on the uk forum as far as I know, I did ask to be taught Dutch when I was at school, but got told why bother, everyone over there speaks English :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Oh wow, really? I thought there would be at least one :confused: That is odd, from what I saw the people there seem to be so enthusiastic when it comes to gardening and decoration of said garden. I had never seen gardening stores that big. I hope they are more social online that they are most of the times offline, hehehe.

As for english, prepare to get a bit frustrated if you talk to older dutch people ;) Young people are far better (y)

I asked if I could get by with only english, I was told no, I do need to learn dutch if I want certain jobs, that is why I'm working so hard on the inburgering cursus, but learning dutch is really tough! The word order is just crazy! :whistle:

Ask a Question