Today in my garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I'm enjoying all the snake stories :D

I have never encountered a rattler or a copper head yet. I say "yet" because, living in Texas, it's bound to happen eventually. :eek:
I was thinking the same thing Dave....Mean little boogers, them Copperheads are!!
I was on my knees in the water of a creek where a feeder spring was coming into the main creek and was digging around for arrowheads with my attention on my hands I did not see the one shown below coming down the feeder spring until he was in striking distance of my face! Thank the Lord I had my pistol on..so I just fell backwards and pulled my pistol and began to fire at the snake as he was still coming at me in the main creek, eventually hitting it in the head on the third shot. The bullet went in right where the head joins the body on the right looking at the image. Needless to say that put a damper on digging in the creek for a few minutes.

IMG_1207-copy_zpsnsb5uqmm.jpg

I was struck on the calf of my right leg in October of 1994 by a Cottonmouth moccasin, several miles back in a national forest and we had no cell phones then. That is not a pleasant experience. God had to have been there because the teeth did not make it through my rubber boots. They strike so hard that it left a softball sized bruise on my calf for over two weeks, I had on a rubber boot with my pants leg inside the boot and socks....I thought that I had been hit with a big rock.
GoatDriver, are you a rockhound? :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Like seeing those around, they take care of a lot of bugs. Just to be different and kind of experiment here in cold wet Connecticut I built a outside cactus garden and can see quite a few of these snakes in the area when they need a little warmth .
Yes, the non-poisonous snakes are actually quite beneficial. We had a small farm one time, with horses, and kept hay and sweet feed in our barn. Which quickly became a haven (or heaven) for mice and other critters. Since I didn't want them in the horse feed, I told my husband we needed to get a couple of barn cats. Typical man that he is, he hates cats and was adamant that we weren't getting any. So I gave him a choice, we could either get cats or a couple of big black snakes. Within a couple of days we had 2 of the cutest cats you've ever seen!! :D

Never underestimate the persuasive powers of a female who wants to get her way!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Most I suppose do not feel comfortable around snakes and that includes me. When we just shifted here we did have a lot of them. But now since they have no place to hide they have become far less and even if they appear our pet Preiti will alert us. How do you move around knowing that they are crawling around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Snakes are the only reptile I don't like, for some reason they revolt me. We only have one poisonous snake here in the UK, it's called an Adder and it's venom could kill a child or an animal and make an adult person very ill. The island I live on is free of snakes.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't mind a snake,don't like a crocodile though :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Snakes are the only reptile I don't like, for some reason they revolt me. We only have one poisonous snake here in the UK, it's called an Adder and it's venom could kill a child or an animal and make an adult person very ill. The island I live on is free of snakes.

Got any Hedgehogs? :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if they swam there? :)

Ask a Question