Today I let my eagerness to garden take control of my body!

Reaction score
It is overcast, and damp, and it will stay like this for the next 3 days or so. It is PERFECT weather to get seedlings into the ground! I know it is too early to be safe from frost but I could not stand it: I planted 3 little tomatos! I told myself that I still had 4 seedlings on the windowsill if these 3 seedlings did not survive, and I told myself that we no longer eat many tomatos, and I told myself how great it would be if the 3 tomato seedlings grew and prospered, and in general I LIED to myself! I lied to myself that it would be just FINE if I planted the tomatos this early!

Those poor seedlings were NOT ready to go into the ground! When I lifted them all of the soil fell off of the roots! The roots were not branched out, yet!

I planted them anyways, because if the roots are damaged then the roots are damaged. The poor little things will either live or they will not.

I still have 4 seedlings on the windowsill but they will STAY on the windowsill for the next 2 weeks, which is when I had originally INTENDED to plant them! I will have to take good care of the surviving 4 seedlings, because that was the last of my tomato seeds, and the tomato seeds in the store will all be picked over by now. I would therefor have to be satisfied with the varieties than nobody else wanted.

Every spring I lie to myself as to when it is safe to plant. I do. My cabbages are up and looking fine, but it frosted 2 days ago and I no longer see my baby carrots!:cry: If I am luckier than I deserve then there will still be some carrot seeds that have not yet sprouted!:oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh so sorry to hear that! I am itching to just going outside and do something too, but it is too windy and cold out there! I manage to clean out the dead leaves and pruning some branches from the perennial that are coming back though, but can't plant yet.

Reaction score
Wow, so sorry to hear that :( I hope your baby carrots are still alive and just need a couple day to peek out from their hideout, hehehehe! But at least your cabbages are fine... as for the others, well, don't worry, sometimes we are so eager to start growing things that we just want to get out and start planting no matter what!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am sorry to the frost harmed your plants. It has been cool still in my area. I pulled a weed up yesterday, the roots were very cold, the ground is not warm enough to start planting in my area, but I am ready.

Reaction score
Today is delightfully overcast: I will just have to wait and see if they survive! Tomatos are pretty tough if it does not freeze.

I double checked the two short rows of carrots: they are DEFINATELY gone! I am lucky I did not lose all of the cabbages as well! I did lose a few seedling cabbages, but only enough so that I do not have to thin them as much. It looks like the cabbages that were just breaking through the soil were lost, but the ones that were well up are fine.

I will replant in a few days, unless there are some unsprouted seeds that decide to emerge.

Of all the things that I miss in the winter time, I think it is the SMELL of growing things that I miss the most! I did have some inside plants this year, but nothing that had a fragrance. The trees where I live are starting to bloom, and that just makes me more eager to go out and get busy outside!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Terri, we all get the itch to plant, and just have to scratch it! I remember a couple of years where my husband and I were out in the driving cold rain putting pots over our tomato plants because SOMEONE (ahem:() just had to get her tomato seedlings planted.
Carrot seed is easily available, so if you have to replant, think of it as "succession planting" and hope that this next seeding is successful.
Good luck, have a great garden, and breathe deeply of the smell of growing things. Enjoying the scent of growth is the mark of a good gardener.

Ask a Question