Tips and Ideas for a Pie Shaped Lot

Reaction score
I just wanted to get some input on some ideas for a pie shaped backyard. It's a walkout basement, so there is a gentle slope downwards from the back of the house, and it's an inside corner lot, so the lot itself is pie shaped.

What kinds of layouts do you guys and gals recommend for this kind of backyard? My initial thoughts were to have some edible/fruits and veggie plants around the edges, then just lawn in the middle, but that seems kind of boring.

Any ideas?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

Blackcurants all round the edge and then a feature in the middle.

DSCF0009 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome! :)

Blackcurants seems nice and would be great to harvest to make jam or whatever, but don't they tend to stain? We will have some tiled patio area just behind the back entrance and I wouldn't want the berries to leave stains all over the place.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good point, white currants instead then :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome aboard! :)

When you say 'pie shaped' do you mean round or triangular (like a slice of pie)? If you've got any photos it would be nice to see it!

Reaction score
I probably have more of a slope so I terraced it with railroad ties, having a lawn near the patio, a small fountain and did separate "beds" using the ties to put in fruits and vegetables. I also added a fruit tree for shade and of course fruit!

Reaction score
I've done some grounds maintenance work at different places for a few years and started actual landscaping this past spring, so I find the different ideas presented here very interesting.
To know what we have to work with, I need a little more information. What does the back of your lot end with? A creek and woods or a shopping center? In other words, something you want to see or something you don't. That makes a big difference. Same question with the sides of the yard. I know for blocking views, spruce, pines, and arbs are all very popular. If you just want to improve the look, that gives a lot more options and room to work.

Ask a Question