This is the okra I am talking about...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Help! This is how my okra harvest looks like now. I don't know what is causing this though. :( I haven't been able to harvest any for a few weeks now.

4ild3a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is classic ant damage. For reasons unknown to me okra attracts ants of all kinds. They will either bite or sting the fruits. They usually attack the buds first and this will make the pods deformed or damaged but in this case the ants attacked the pod itself when it was small. To eliminate them use spinosad or keep the base of the plant and the plant itself dusted with diotomaceous earth

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awwww!!!!! So sorry to hear your lovely okras are getting ruined by an unknown pest (or ants as Chuck said)! It's such a pity and a waste of delicious okra. I hope you can find some spinosad where you live, so you can get rid of those pests for good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
This is classic ant damage. For reasons unknown to me okra attracts ants of all kinds. They will either bite or sting the fruits. They usually attack the buds first and this will make the pods deformed or damaged but in this case the ants attacked the pod itself when it was small. To eliminate them use spinosad or keep the base of the plant and the plant itself dusted with diotomaceous earth

Thanks! I bought melathion the other day, and I think it helps in keeping away ants. I notice that the flowers attract ants! I think this is the reason why my okras are bent in funny ways.

Ask a Question