This is not a kiwi!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Cactuses are usually propagated by cuttings. If they produce fruits, the seeds will be in the fruits. If they produce flowers, they will be in the flower after pollination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cactuses are usually propagated by cuttings. If they produce fruits, the seeds will be in the fruits. If they produce flowers, they will be in the flower after pollination.

Then I suppose the knocks out the idea that somehow, the cacti plants at my aunts house traveled with me.... Makes this situation even crazier! :eek:

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hmmmm.... My aunt has Cacti at her house which I've touched several times ... Could it be possible (maybe with a miracle), that a seed somehow got attached to me then put into my dirt? o_O This is so strange.

Who knows could be. Looks like a opuntia sprout I found this image these two images.

Unknown_Cacti_Seedling.jpg

5619506230_4bd9ac97ca_b.jpg

They really do look very similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Who knows could be. Looks like a opuntia sprout I found this image these two images.

Unknown_Cacti_Seedling.jpg

5619506230_4bd9ac97ca_b.jpg

They really do look very similar.

Yes, they do look quite similar. Yours seem a bit more prickly than mine, but, that could simply be variation in species of w/e it turns out to be xD

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
If it is a opuntia, and you let it grow, you could be lucky and still get some prickly pears from it. They aren't cheap and what I have heard is that they are very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it is a opuntia, and you let it grow, you could be lucky and still get some prickly pears from it. They aren't cheap and what I have heard is that they are very good.

That would be pretty awesome if so!! :D

Here is an update!

Attachments

• 20160826_085815_HDR~2.jpg
    20160826_085815_HDR~2.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yup it certainly does look like a cactus. Now you just have to wait and see if it will give you edible fruit. It's growing really well.

Thanks! It really is growing well! Here is an update :)

It's getting much larger.

Attachments

• 20160919_082045_HDR.jpg
    20160919_082045_HDR.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 291

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is a very interesting thread!!

Do you reuse your potting soil? Is it possible the seed was already in the soil from something else? :confused: (I'm not too familiar with cactus here in Ohio. I always thought they grew from cuttings. The thought of a seed never occurred to me.)

What is the little green thing (string?) around your cactus? What purpose does it serve? (At first I thought it was a marker of sorts, to let you remember which is the "Mystery plant," but then I thought maybe it was a stake to hold it upright, and then I thought...What the heck?! Ask him!! ) :D

Please do keep us posted!! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a very interesting thread!!

Do you reuse your potting soil? Is it possible the seed was already in the soil from something else? :confused: (I'm not too familiar with cactus here in Ohio. I always thought they grew from cuttings. The thought of a seed never occurred to me.)

What is the little green thing (string?) around your cactus? What purpose does it serve? (At first I thought it was a marker of sorts, to let you remember which is the "Mystery plant," but then I thought maybe it was a stake to hold it upright, and then I thought...What the heck?! Ask him!! ) :D

Please do keep us posted!! (y)

Glad you enjoy the thread! I'm really excited to find out what the heck it is.

I have not reused any potting soil other than soil from plants I have grown -- none of which were ever cacti. Fruits and veggies bought from my local mart mostly, and some seeds from Home depot.

I have no cacti near my home -- however, there are cacti at my aunts home, which I visit frequently. I rarely if ever bother the cacti though, because I have no interest in them.

As far as the green string thing, yes, it is a steak. The tiny stem can no longer support the cactus as it is leaning over to the point where it touches the pot rim. I heard 45 degrees is about avg of what most plants can withstand.

I will definitely keep you posted as long as it does not die :p
I've never grown cacti... so.... this is an experiment.
To make matters worse, we have no clue what it is or what it's requirements are xD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It defintely looks like some variety of cactus to me. I guess if the weather conditions are right, cactuses can grow quickly like other plants. It is just one of the things that you can look forward to, when you are growing them. It is always fun to watch the growth of plants. Make sure you have what you need when growing plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It defintely looks like some variety of cactus to me. I guess if the weather conditions are right, cactuses can grow quickly like other plants. It is just one of the things that you can look forward to, when you are growing them. It is always fun to watch the growth of plants. Make sure you have what you need when growing plants.

I think she will be ok. :)
Growing quite nicely.... I'm going to start giving it small amounts of nutes and then bring it in for the winter pretty soon :p

It's growing nicely and quickly. I was under the impression that cactus's grew slower but by the look of things that one is in a hurry. :)

Oh yeah!! It's growing much faster than I expected. Always assumed they grew extremely slow as well.

Here comes the challenging part because winter is coming... I'm pretty sure I'll have to over-winter this one inside since it's the ONLY one .

I wonder though, if it does turn out to be a fruiting cactus, will it require a cross-pollinator or male/female counterpart?
Well, I guess that's assuming it is even a fruiting cactus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think if it is inside, it may go a bit dormant in the Winter, but I bet when the Spring hits it will be growing quickly again. I am planning on bring a couple of plants inside for the winter, but I have some time yet..The night temp has not gone below about 55 degrees, so no worries...now.

Ask a Question