This is everywhere this year

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help identify the plant in the picture. It's the first year I've seen it and it's very prolific.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20230416_123458.jpg
    20230416_123458.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230416_123450.jpg
    20230416_123450.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @novicegardener . Are those growing all over your lawn? Have you got some big trees nearby? We also have seedlings just like that, and they are little trees. Cut the grass to eliminate them there, and weed them out of the beds, before they get too big, because if you leave them they'll be a job to get out. Trees always seem to make more babies if they have been a bit stressed the previous year in my experience.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First pair of seed leaves all tend to look like that, it's when you get the second and third leaves you can tell what things are, but I shouldn't wait for that, knock them over now when they will die easily, they are of the genus 'weed'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yea I see seedlings like that all the time. Saw some today in my store bought potting mix as a matter of fact. Not sure what they are or if they are all the same thing or not. I do know they aren't what I'm growing so I just pick it out.

The other day I did pull out what looked like a fern seedling and a little round tannish with white flesh nut was attached. Some sort of tree nut a squirrel buried I presume.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @novicegardener . Are those growing all over your lawn? Have you got some big trees nearby? We also have seedlings just like that, and they are little trees. Cut the grass to eliminate them there, and weed them out of the beds, before they get too big, because if you leave them they'll be a job to get out. Trees always seem to make more babies if they have been a bit stressed the previous year in my experience.
Not only the lawn, the verges, but everywhere. I keep pulling them up from the path and I've cut the grass. There are plenty of trees about but not sure if they are a tree and most of the trees here are fir trees. Will just wait and see where some get a bit bigger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not only the lawn, the verges, but everywhere. I keep pulling them up from the path and I've cut the grass. There are plenty of trees about but not sure if they are a tree and most of the trees here are fir trees. Will just wait and see where some get a bit bigger

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I believe they are Sycamore seedlings and they self seed everywhere. When I moved to my current home there were three here. They grow very quickly and seed profusely. On lawns they can be mowed off and won't re-shoot but they are a nightmare to remove from my gravel drive every year - a job that can only be done by hand. I've had two of the three Sycamores felled, one was 50ft, the other 25ft and the remaining one is 50-60ft in height. To me they are nothing but weeds.

Ask a Question