Palm trees everywhere!

Reaction score
Hi there! I've several palm trees growing in my garden, they popped up randomly, I didn't plant them or anything like that, they just randomly popped out in the garden and even some pots. How can that happen?! We don't have palm trees nearby, and we haven't really worked in the garden for 2 or 3 years, are palm trees so easy to grow? I'm just curious!

Reaction score
Yes palm trees are relatively easy to grow. They don't require a lot of attention. They do not need a lot of maintenance. They also do not need a lot of soil to grow. As to how they got in your garden, perhaps the seeds got there from birds, squirrels, or animals.

Reaction score
OP, Migrating birds probably dropped those palm tree seeds. Here in Florida, there are a lot of palm trees that grow wild and don't even have people caring for them, yet they thrive. So they are easy to grow. Enjoy your trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Palm trees are very expensive here! They are usually used in landscaping. My mom bought one before, and wow, it was expensive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I would have to agree that probably birds may have dropped them. Here they are indigenous to the Land of Israel so about a week ago, it was harvesting time for dates and so I decided to eat a few then plant the seeds. I have been seeing a lot on the internet about how to start the tree from seeds and grow them inside for a while. Still waiting for the seeds to sprout but as stated by others, enjoy your trees and I hope you get some dates out of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Because I live in Florida, palm trees are everywhere! Full sun and liberal watering every day during the summer and every 3-4 days in the winter is good for their growth.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
As far as I know, palm trees could be propagated through germinating seeds and I think that this is the reason why they suddenly popped up in your garden. Definitely, birds have dropped them there. I really consider you fortunate because palm trees cost some money if you are going to have landscapers do the work for you.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Unexpected palm trees sounds like a wonderful surprise present! If only there was a way to grow palm trees up in Canada. Looking at a tall palm tree from my house would certainly help fight off some winter blues!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I finally have some growth from one out of 3 seeds that I planted months ago and it looks very promising. Now if I can get through the cold winter without it dying, I know it will flourish in the Spring and Summer.

Ask a Question