The Satisfaction Of Growing Your Own Vegetables

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What a great thread from a decade ago. Most all of the posters don't seem to be posting here anymore, but with the sentiments they expressed, I sure wish they were still active here now and we could share experiences with them.

In my opinion there is nothing more satisfying than growing your own vegetables and fruits. ...

...We sell our surplus and donate all the proceeds to a local charity (mentally handicapped children) where all the money goes directly to help people.

As all of you have said, growing and eating your own vegetables is a pleasure not to be surpassed!
However, I'd like to mention the pleasure of sharing. We plant so much more than we could ever consume (and we consume a lot!) so I take the excess to the local food pantry where folks who don't have the space or the physical ability to garden can get fresh, clean, good vegetables. ...

We've been growing our own for over 50 years and still get the enjoyment of growing and eating our produce. :)

Its a hugely satisfying experience and I am able to use, eat, and recycle most of what I grow. I've been gardening/farming and I still get the same thrill upon seeing the first plants come up in the spring as I did when I was a kid.

Growing your own vegetables is indeed very satisfying. It's so exciting to watch the first green shoots poking their heads up through the dirt. ...

Not much can compare to the satisfaction and reward you get from growing your own vegetables - you can eat as many as want, because you have an abundant supply, the taste is way more delicious than anything you could buy elsewhere and of course, there is always that heavenly aroma of real vegetables filling the kitchen as you prepare you meals, which you then tuck into happily, knowing that not only did you grow them yourself but they are as healthy as any vegetable could get :)

Raising your own vegetables also makes you feel like you are part of the ecosystem. ...

It's very satisfying, especially that first meal of the season when all thats on your plate comes from the garden or has been caught/foraged by yourself :)

It must be so satisfying to grow your own vegetables! I'm going to start doing this next year, because I will be fascinated to watch a seed turn into a complete vegetable! Knowing they haven't be sprayed with anything horrible, will also be very reassuring to me.

Beautiful sentiments all.:love:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is sad that we've lost members over the years. I know one of those above in real life, and another that I used to talk to all the time who just disappeared one day :(

We still sit down to a meal that Tetters will point out that some parts are from our own garden though :)

Done well with Lamb's Lettuce this winter :)

DSC03842.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't feel quite so kindly about one or two of those past members I'm afraid and am not quite so tolerant as Zigs. One of them in particular did Zigs a great misservice in the past and we knew him in the flesh. MG left because of what Americans call ''a snit'' I believe.
Staying in the 'here and now' is my own preference.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Corn has to be eaten as soon as possible after being picked if you want it SWEET. This means growing it yourself. Bravo the gardeners of past and present.
20240421_171501[1].jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Corn has to be eaten as soon as possible after being picked if you want it SWEET. This means growing it yourself. Bravo the gardeners of past and present.

Yep, like new potatoes, best get the water boiling in the pan before picking it :cool:

Ask a Question