Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are there Wood Pigeons in America?

Reaction score
Are there Wood Pigeons in America?
They aren't native to North America, but neither are banded pigeons, and we have tonnes of those. In eastern Canada we have mourning doves, which are beautiful little birds, and make lovely little cooing sounds in the mornings.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Even toads are cute when they are really tiny. It had recently rained, and I was looking through a stack of terra cotta pots for one to plant something in. When I took the top pot out of the stack, a bunch of tiny brown toads jumped out. I guess they were resting in there and I disturbed them.
They were so cute that it's hard to believe that they grow into those big ugly toads.

Agree:D. Little toads look as cute as little frogs. So far, I saw only one big toad, it happened when I was a child, I found it in a hole near the entrance to my house. I don't remember it very clearly though. I was scared.

Reaction score
We don't get tree frogs in the UK (as far as I know), it's a shame, they sound cute. We do, of course, have all manner of home grown frogs and toads. They are fairly quiet at the moment, probably due to all the young birds that are hungry and out looking for a nice little meal!

Reaction score
I love critter noises too. There are birds around here that imitate the sounds of car alarms and there's a bird that sounds like he's saying "Uh oh!" Every time I hear him, I talk back to him. Animal noises aren't noise pollution. People are the ones who make offensive noise with their car horns, loud TVs blaring and window-rattling car stereos.

I think I can honestly say I've only REALLY ever been annoyed by animals sounds once in my life. I was on a camping trip with Boy Scouts once, near Gettysburg, PA, and there was a whippoorwill singing into the wee hours of the morning. Dang thing kept me awake LONG after I was ready to be asleep! :(

Reaction score
Agree:D. Little toads look as cute as little frogs. So far, I saw only one big toad, it happened when I was a child, I found it in a hole near the entrance to my house. I don't remember it very clearly though. I was scared.

When my kids were little we had these HUGE toads living near our carport in the back yard. We named them....Spike and, well, I can't remember Spike's "wife's" name! But they were around frequently one summer. I never did research it enough to find out if there is a species of toads that just get that big or if it was a really good toad-growing summer. Since then I've only seen those really big ones a time or two. I took a photo of one....big as the foot of a 3 year old boy I was watching.

We've had a hatching of the little bitty guys here recently, too. A boy I know is fascinated with all sorts of critters and has a few in a tank....I just marvel at how tiny and delicate their legs and feet are. They climb up the wall of his tank and are just so darn cute!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Babble64, I'm sure that Spike and his wife were cute toads. If only big toads can be cute, lol:D
Zigs, thank you for the link! I love listening to singing birds, it's lovely:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tree frogs, cor :)

Only saw one meteor last night, but it was spectaclier:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I googled tree frogs and I found some pictures of them. They look so cute and funny! I wish they lived in my area:)
Just look at this little thing, isn't it adorable:

Red-Eyed-Tree-Frog.jpg

As for meteors, I haven't seen any yet:(

Reaction score
Mowed the lawn yesterday and there were toads EVERYWHERE! I think I managed to miss all that I saw. Anyone listening to me would have thought me nuts as I encouraged each jumper to move to safety!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lol!:D I hope that they all managed to run away:) Yesterday, I had to look for my turtle because it had decided to hide somewhere in our garden, but instead of it, I found a toad. It wasn't big though and it looked kind of creepy:p

Ask a Question