The frogs are in love...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
First, it was the cicadas, and now it is all the little tree frogs out there singing to each other every nite.
They have that little croakey noise just going on every evening from about dusk until late at nite. If you "croak" at them, they will even answer you.
We have a little swimming pool out back, and were just getting it cleaned and filled up for the summer when the frogs showed up. They right away decided it was their Party Place, and now we have a hundred zillion little tadpoles in there. We don't want to kill the tadpoles, but if we don't get them out, we can't fill it up and be able to cool off in there in these hot days.
The nice thing is, with the frogs here, there are no more mosquitoes ! Before, I could barely go out and water the garden in the evening, but now, the skeeters are all gone, and the frogs are probably all full and happy.

Reaction score
LOL and do you like their singing? we once had frogs invade our garden and the nights got terribly noisy. We also had a lots of snakes visiting us to make a meal of the frogs. One day we had a black cobra visit us and that was it. My dad had to do something to get the frogs out of the place. I don't remember what he did though. I was about seven then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My first apartment was in a sort of courtyard that had a large man-made pond. That frog singing drove me nuts in the evenings! Is there a park or natural body of water nearby you could relocate the tadpoles to? They are beneficial as part of the food chain so maybe a small container pond (or two) would be a good new home for them?

Reaction score
I like the frog and cricket noises at night. It beats the loud music from passing cars and other urban noise. OP, I understand that you need your pool for the summer, but you should try to save those tadpoles somehow, even if you have to relocate them somewhere else. There's a lake less than a mile from my apartment so I would be taking buckets of tadpoles to that lake rather than killing them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It would be so wonderful if the little tree frogs lived in my climate zone. First of all, they sound like a very cute creatures:D And if they eat mosquitoes, it's even better. I'm sure that I wouldn't mind their singing, I like natural sounds like this.

Reaction score
I love listening to the critter noises! Birds, squirrels, frogs, etc. They are such great background music for life. So often I comment on it and so many people don't even hear them. Seems like they're missing something to me! I feel cheered by it all. I even talk back to them sometimes. :)

Reaction score
I love listening to the critter noises! Birds, squirrels, frogs, etc. They are such great background music for life. So often I comment on it and so many people don't even hear them. Seems like they're missing something to me! I feel cheered by it all. I even talk back to them sometimes. :)

I love critter noises too. There are birds around here that imitate the sounds of car alarms and there's a bird that sounds like he's saying "Uh oh!" Every time I hear him, I talk back to him. Animal noises aren't noise pollution. People are the ones who make offensive noise with their car horns, loud TVs blaring and window-rattling car stereos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree. Critter noises are very relaxing. There is a small forest and a lake near my University and from time to time my boyfriend takes me there and we sit there for hours and we listen to birds and frogs. Especially frogs always make me smile, their "singing" is so funny:D

Reaction score
I love frogs and their singing! We have the cutest little ground frogs here. The ones that live in the grass are a greeny-yellow pattern, but when they live in the garden beds they get covered in dirt until they are dark grey. Some are the size of my thumb nail, and the largest I've seen is smaller than my thumb. We also have grass snakes, which I also like, but I always hope that they don't catch the frogs :) And then I hope the birds don't catch the snakes! :rolleyes: LOL.

How long does it take tadpoles to become frogs? Maybe you can just wait them out...

Reaction score
I so love the sounds of the frogs and crickets when they sing. It is so nice to sit outside and just enjoy them as they serenade us into the evenings. One of our neighbors has a huge pond and the frogs are out every night just croaking away. That tells me that I am really in the country.

Reaction score
I love frogs and their singing! We have the cutest little ground frogs here. The ones that live in the grass are a greeny-yellow pattern, but when they live in the garden beds they get covered in dirt until they are dark grey. Some are the size of my thumb nail, and the largest I've seen is smaller than my thumb. We also have grass snakes, which I also like, but I always hope that they don't catch the frogs :) And then I hope the birds don't catch the snakes! :rolleyes: LOL.

How long does it take tadpoles to become frogs? Maybe you can just wait them out...

I saw tiny thumbnail sized frogs once. It was raining by the lake near my daughter's school and we were walking home when I saw what I thought were tiny gray insects hopping like frogs.
But when I bent down to get a closer look, they were tiny grayish frogs about the size of a thumbnail.
I've never seen anything like that again. I like frogs and it makes me happy to hear them.

Reaction score
I saw tiny thumbnail sized frogs once. It was raining by the lake near my daughter's school and we were walking home when I saw what I thought were tiny gray insects hopping like frogs.
But when I bent down to get a closer look, they were tiny grayish frogs about the size of a thumbnail.
I've never seen anything like that again. I like frogs and it makes me happy to hear them.
They are one of my favorite things! I don't know why, but they just make me happy :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Tiny frogs are adorable, I love them too, they're the cutest little things. I saw a few last year, when my boyfriend took me to a lake near our university. The frogs were jumping on grass, it looked really funny:D

Reaction score
Tiny frogs are adorable, I love them too, they're the cutest little things. I saw a few last year, when my boyfriend took me to a lake near our university. The frogs were jumping on grass, it looked really funny:D

Even toads are cute when they are really tiny. It had recently rained, and I was looking through a stack of terra cotta pots for one to plant something in. When I took the top pot out of the stack, a bunch of tiny brown toads jumped out. I guess they were resting in there and I disturbed them.
They were so cute that it's hard to believe that they grow into those big ugly toads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We enjoy the sound of the frogs at nite also. The cicadas have been making a lot of noise as well, but I much prefer hearing the frogs.
One nice thing about both frogs and toads, they love to eat bugs ! We still hardly ever see a mosquito outside now, and I am sure it is because the frogs are happily snacking on the mosquito larvae.
Their mating season is apparently all summer long, and since it has cooled down, we have pretty much abandoned the little swimming pool to the frog community for the summer. I just take a nice cool shower when it gets too hot and muggy , and even the het is not such a problem, now that it has cooled down and raining so much. We wouldn't be out in the pool on the rainy days anyway.

Ask a Question