Texas red star hibiscus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is a container grown plant in my zone, they say it can grow in zone 6 but I'm not sure if I want to plant this in the ground, The flowers only last one day. I ordered a Texas white star hibiscus to go with it. Its just a little over 6 ft tall.

Texas star 003.JPG
Texas star 005.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's beautiful and very tall!:) Much taller than me;) I love it! It's a pity the flowers only last one day. They're stunning. How often does this plant bloom?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a lovely hibiscus! I have three Roses of Sharon in the yard and they got very big and tall. I think they are in the same family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's beautiful and very tall!:) Much taller than me;) I love it! It's a pity the flowers only last one day. They're stunning. How often does this plant bloom?

It only blooms once a year, in the fall it dies back and I cut it back to about 2 inches, and put it in a cool dry place for the winter.

That is a lovely hibiscus! I have three Roses of Sharon in the yard and they got very big and tall. I think they are in the same family.

Your right they are in the same family.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The flowers of Red Star Hibiscus (Hibiscus coccineus), in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae), only last one day (like many Hibiscus), but a large plant will often produce several flowers a day throughout Summer and Fall. The exact native range of this species seem to be a subject of debate. Some sources list it as native to nine southeastern states from Louisiana and Arkansas to Virginia, while other sources claim it is only truly native to Florida and Georgia and introduced elsewhere.

Ask a Question