Tenacity and Milorganite

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi all. For 2-1/2 years, I have been applying pre-emergent weed killer, fertilizer once in the spring and once in the fall, and a post-emergent. Well, that granular crap is useless. My lawn looks WORSE after 2-1/2 years of using that. So, I'm going to buy a tow-behind liquid spreader for my tractor and use Tenacity and then Milorganite. My yard is already in full force with clover, wild violets, a few dandelions, prickly lettuce, crab grass, Bermuda grass, and other things that I'm not ever sure of. Seems like we're barely starting spring and I'm having to do a post-emergent application.

My hope is that the Tenacity will destroy these darn weeds because I really want a beautiful yard. We run an Airbnb and the yard looks awful. I want it to look immaculate. It's not easy getting a nice yard, and it's even more frustrating when the products I buy are useless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Won't work on the violets. Actually it kinda sucks for post emergent. You got trees? Triclopyr will take the violets, but you better plan multiple apps at the low dose because it kills trees and is the main chemistry in brush killer. 2,4-d, dicamba, triclopyr 3 ways used to be preferred but I think they banned dicamba..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering about 2,4-d. I've heard good things about it. And yes, we do have a few trees. They are mature Dogwood trees, but we also have some new saplings that we planted a couple years ago. I will look into that. I've heard that Tenacity can be applied along with another weed killer, but I forgot the name of it. I'm sure it's in a thread here somewhere. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was wondering about 2,4-d. I've heard good things about it. And yes, we do have a few trees. They are mature Dogwood trees, but we also have some new saplings that we planted a couple years ago. I will look into that. I've heard that Tenacity can be applied along with another weed killer, but I forgot the name of it. I'm sure it's in a thread here somewhere. Thank you!
Thats right as far as I know, its famous for being used at seeding time. Make sure you identify the plants you want to save and read thoroughly about these chemicals. There is always a downside, the most famous is that you will be leaving room for a weed to propagate that is impervious to the magic concoction currently in use. You can end up with some really nasty weeds over the years as a result.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I probably have the worst grass on the block but the best garden in the town. I'm cool with that. 😁

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try Speedzone for broadleaf weeds. 2-4,D with dicamba and MCPP will control most broadleaves. If you want to control bermudagrass use Turflon which is the ester form of 2-4,D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought Triclopyr and 2,4-D. I also already have Tenacity, surfactant, and dye. Does anyone know what mixing ratios are for putting these three together?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The bottles will tell you how much to use per gallon. Measure as if the whole gallon is water. If it says use 1 tablespoon of Tenacity, 1 ounce of surfactant and 1 teaspoon of dye per gallon then use those amounts per gallon of finished solution.

1 tbl/gal = 1 tbl/gal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The below article is just one reason why I don't attempt to kill weeds (except non-native grasses -- AKA Lawns), because the result is more toxic to the environment, not to mention the amount of money you must spend to maintain a lawn, which on its own is a desert to wildlife. Not to mention what we're doing to our waterways/aquifers when this stuff gets into it.

Excerpt:

The treatment plant takes everything the people of Greater Boston send down their sinks, toilets, showers and washing machines — plus industrial waste — and treats it. The treated water is clean enough to let out into the ocean. The remaining sludge gets recycled into fertilizer that’s used in nearly 20 states.

But now that fertilizer is raising fresh concerns. That’s because wastewater treatment plants like Deer Island were not built to handle the toxic “forever chemicals” known as PFAS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The below article is just one reason why I don't attempt to kill weeds (except non-native grasses -- AKA Lawns), because the result is more toxic to the environment, not to mention the amount of money you must spend to maintain a lawn, which on its own is a desert to wildlife. Not to mention what we're doing to our waterways/aquifers when this stuff gets into it.

Excerpt:

The treatment plant takes everything the people of Greater Boston send down their sinks, toilets, showers and washing machines — plus industrial waste — and treats it. The treated water is clean enough to let out into the ocean. The remaining sludge gets recycled into fertilizer that’s used in nearly 20 states.

But now that fertilizer is raising fresh concerns. That’s because wastewater treatment plants like Deer Island were not built to handle the toxic “forever chemicals” known as PFAS.
Imagine what is going on if the poop is toxic?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have read white papers that extensively examined the metals that are in the sewage fertilizers. I just could not get past the high numbers for milorganite. I understand this would not be such a big problem in alkaline soils where the metals would be more inert but my soil is acid and acids dissolve metals making them more available. My core pH is 5 out in the yard so I chose another path. It never occured to me to consider other contaminents because metals are so toxic on their own.

Ask a Question