Technology

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'd just got in from golf yesterday afternoon when I got a call from an elderly neighbour who is a widow. She had a problem. She'd tried to re-tune her TV as instructed by the on-screen messages, as the channels were changing, but she couldn't get ITV, only ITV Wales and the picture was pixilated.
So I went over to sort it out.

Should have been simple, go into menu and re-tune it. Unfortunately, somehow she'd changed the language and it was all in Polish! So I couldn't do anything with it.

It's a ten year-old set. But forunately she still had the instruction book. There was help-line phone number on the front cover for Argos. I guess it was a model that was made for them by Hitachi. I rang them and after about ten minutes I got a response. I explained the problem and gave the guy the model number. He came back five minutes later with a four digit service engineer's code to enter on the remote which enabled me to get the set back to first installation, where you can choose the language. It then took two attempts to re-tune it to get rid of ITV Wales and replace it with ITV North West.

Got to say I was impressed with the help from Argos, given how old is this TV.

Ask a Question