Technology Overload?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A widowed neighbour who's in her seventies, came round last night and asked me if I could sort out her smoke alarm which was "beeping," every thirty seconds. This indicated it needed a new battery. "No problem," I said, "I'll come over, take the battery out and I'd get a new one in the morning when I went shopping and replace it."

No chance, the smoke alarms were supplied and fitted free by the fire brigade, quite a few years ago. It just unscrewed from the base but the battery was hard wired in.
She'd never had any information given her about these supposedly long lasting batteries and she said that the fire brigade no longer fit them. Where she was expected to go to have a new battery fitted she hadn't a clue.

So we came to a decision. She'd two of these alarms, one on the hall ceiling and the other on the ceiling above the first floor landing.

I went into Wilko's this morning and bought a twin-pack of smoke alarms for £9. They come complete with a battery, replacements for which you can get anywhere.
It took me 10 minutes to swop them over.

Job sorted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Had something similar with the alarm fitted here, so like you we replaced it with a more easily replaced battery. We also moved it away from the kitchen door where it went off every time anyone even boiled the kettle.
And talking of annoying things like that. We have wall lights in our bedroom. To undo them so I could wall paper easily, you need a special screwdriver. I do not possess the correct sort and I am not going to buy one either.

Ask a Question