Tall plant with pink flowers

Reaction score
A rather tall plant has recently appeared, on an over grown section of my property in Rhode Island. The plant is tall, over 5 feet, and it has pink puffy flowers. I will attach a picture. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was.

Thanks
image.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like a Hollyhock to me :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's funny, I only knew the Polish name of this plant (which is "malwa"), but google translated it to "mallow". When I looked for pictures of mallow, I found a completely different plant. We really should have international names for plants, it would make everything much easier:p
Anyway, I agree with Zigs, it's a Hollyhock. I love Hollyhocks, there are plenty of them in my area. They're beautiful:love:

Reaction score
That's funny, I only knew the Polish name of this plant (which is "malwa"), but google translated it to "mallow". When I looked for pictures of mallow, I found a completely different plant. We really should have international names for plants, it would make everything much easier:p
Anyway, I agree with Zigs, it's a Hollyhock. I love Hollyhocks, there are plenty of them in my area. They're beautiful:love:

There is a international/ world wide language for all plants already used by botanists.
Latin.
It saves any confusion with the common/local names many plants have.

This one is Alcea rosea.
In UK the common name is Hollyhock.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...Lb7Abpj4D4DA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcea_rosea

Reaction score
I don't know their name, but I saw a lot of those in my aunt's garden. There were bumblebees all over those flowers all the time tho. I was 5 and fooling around with the flowers once, well, I got what I deserved, lol. One of those things stung me on me right cheek! Ouch! Yup, my face got swollen, my uncle came out fast and rubbed garlic on my face. LOL... That plant had red flowers tho.

Reaction score
I don't know their name, but I saw a lot of those in my aunt's garden. There were bumblebees all over those flowers all the time tho. I was 5 and fooling around with the flowers once, well, I got what I deserved, lol. One of those things stung me on me right cheek! Ouch! Yup, my face got swollen, my uncle came out fast and rubbed garlic on my face. LOL... That plant had red flowers tho.

They come in many colours.
see link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...uh7AbnmoCwAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There is a international/ world wide language for all plants already used by botanists.
Latin.
It saves any confusion with the common/local names many plants have.

This one is Alcea rosea.
In UK the common name is Hollyhock.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...Lb7Abpj4D4DA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcea_rosea
Yes, I know, but most people don't know Latin names of plants:( It's easier to say Hollyhock than Alcea rosea. Personally, I had had to learn Latin at my university, but I already forgot most of it. It's definitely not my favorite language:p

Reaction score
Yea the common name is the easiest for all of us non-botanists haha. The latin name comes in handy for sub species. Succulent plants come to mind. Claudine how is your outside rose looking today? No wilting or anything? Hoping no bugs yetbut being outside, that might be something to watch for down the line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yea the common name is the easiest for all of us non-botanists haha. The latin name comes in handy for sub species. Succulent plants come to mind. Claudine how is your outside rose looking today? No wilting or anything? Hoping no bugs yetbut being outside, that might be something to watch for down the line.
It seems fine:) In fact, all of my roses look a little healthier now. I notice more and more of first tiny leaves:) Only one of my miniatures, the one that produces fragrant flowers, is still very weak. I hope it will survive though, because its branches are green.
English is not my first language, so for me both English and Latin plant names are pretty confusing:p

Reaction score
Haha Maybe they're thinking if they don't shape up, your gonna ban them to the patio too! Put the one doing poorly out there too. Worth a try. BTW if English isn't your first language, I'd say you've done a good job perfecting it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

There's a Tree Mallow that grows in the West of England that looks similar Claudine:)

Reaction score
Tree mallow? But not the MarshMallow! Sorry, really bad joke, but I had to do it. Just ignore me.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not a bad joke Mindy, Marsh Mallows used to be made from the plant of the same name, Altheaea officinalis, the Marsh Mallow :)

Then we discovered sugar :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Tommyotommy - thank you! I love English:)
Lol, maybe I should start blackmailing my miniatures. I'll tell them that they'll all end up on the patio if they don't start growing quickly:LOL:
Zigs - haha, this explains why Google translator 'thinks' that Polish 'malwa' means 'mallow':p

Ask a Question