Sweet potatoes cracked

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi all,

After our really dry summer here in PA, we got a lot of late rain which caused many (most) of my sweet potatoes to crack. I'm new to sweet potatoes so I am still learning, but what I wanted to know from the experts here is, can I still store and use these cracked sweet potatoes or are they basically 'toast'? I'm planning to put them in the greenhouse to cure, but if they aren't going to be able to be stored, should I bother? Please advise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OK, so I wanted to update this thread with another question, also about the sweet potatoes.

I know I have to cure them and the only place I have to do that is my greenhouse before I start next year's seeds. The temperatures can get very toasty in there on sunny days, but it drops down to 45 in there at night. Is this going to harm my sweet potatoes or keep them from curing? Also, before I could get them in the greenhouse, they spent a night out on my porch in a pile to dry and get some of the dirt off. Unfortunately, that was a night we had a frost. I know sweet potatoes are sensitive to frost, but if none of them show signs of damage do you think they will be OK?

This is quite a learning curve! Growing things out of their native range is a challenge!

Ask a Question