Sweet Potatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So... last year I went back to the big box for another spring season and ended up being there until August. By the end of summer I was burned out and it was just too darn hot to be outside. I started working someplace else and just got too busy...

Of course the garden suffered as I basically stopped watering around October. Amazingly a lot of stuff held on and even thrived despite my lack of attention. Long story short, I'd bought some sweet potato plugs and put them in temporary pots that I never got around to transplanting. A few days ago I dumped out the containers to see if anything was left under the soil.

Below are the results. The second image is blurry, but it still gives an idea of the size and shape of the potatoes. My question is, can I just keep them in the soil and let them keep going? Will they grow new greens? Will I get a regular crop of potatoes or should I just start from scratch?

P_20170511_104722[1].jpg

P_20170511_104608[1].jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Never did Sweet potatoes in the garden, I think I should give it a try this year. Thanks for sharing your mummy looking Sweet potatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, after some asking around and some research, it seems the thing to do is start fresh with new slips. I may try and cure the tubers I have and see if they will produce slips for a future crop, but for now I'm going with new starts.

Ask a Question