Suggestions for long blooming purples by the mailbox

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I usually do annuals by the mailbox, but we've redesigned the area and I'm considering planting perennials to be done with it.

The area gets full sun all day and the backdrop is kaleidoscope abelias. I think the bright purple of salvia blooms will pop nicely, but of course that is when it is in bloom. So, I’m wondering if anyone can offer advice as to any impressive blooming periods they may have experienced with any of the salvias or similar looking plants like veronica or even lavender.

I do prefer the mass planting look but I have also considered planting other purple flowered perennials together to have blooms in succession so that there will always be something in bloom.

I’m open to any and all considerations, so any advice is appreciated. I also have concerns about having to deadhead or look at ugly plants off season. Bees and hummingbirds are ok, but less is better of course.

Thanks!

Shelley NW Georgia zone 7b

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Heather (calluna) would look lovely, and it blooms for a long period of time. Or how about heucheras? They come in a wide variety of colours :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purple or near purple lomg blooming perennials.......lobelia Hadspen Purple, salvia Amistad, Agastache Black Adder, agastache Blue Boa, salvia Caraddona, verbena Bonariensis, verbena Homestead Purple, verbena Rigida, penstemon Raven, Sour Grapes, Purple Bedder all flower without too much attention all summer. :).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Clematis, along with any of @Verdun's suggestions. It's vining, but generally requires almost no care and blooms all summer.
If you want a dramatic look, Google blue sea Holly. Perennial almost everywhere, wild blue/purple spikey flowers and foliage. Looks really good paired with yellow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a few suggestions. Maybe not what you're looking for, but they're some ideas for you. None are extreme long-blooming, but not short-blooming, either.

Stout Blue-eyed Grass is a purple-blue flower that blooms for about two full months in mid Spring into early Summer. Small, but showy. Looks best when planted in groups. One of my favorite native plants. Definitely would look good in a shades-of-purple theme.

IMG_8983 copy.jpg

Marsh Blazing Star is more of a pink-purple, blooms a little longer than a month. This'll attract hummingbirds as well as butterflies. Pretty common around mailboxes around here. Admittedly, the stalks do look ugly after blooming, but the plant looks fine if the stalks are removed.
IMG_1980 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot is a bigger, taller suggestion. Gets to around 4', and slowly spreads to form colonies, but in my experience is fairly easy to keep under control. Blooms for around two months. As far as purple flowers go, this one is definitely one of the more unique ones.
IMG_0326 copy1.jpg

Common Blue Violet. A small plant, not really much of a bee attractor. This is the State Flower of four different states. It's an early spring bloomer that blooms for around a month. Like all violets, it will spread, and with the help of ants, will easily spread into lawns. I personally like that it's mixed in with my grass, though some people don't. This one is in my native garden. I'm planning to use it like a ground cover. You can see all the seedlings around it.
IMG_2084 copy.jpg

New England Aster is another tall one, up to 5'. Blooms in Autumn for over a month
IMG_2455 copy.jpg

Anise Hyssop is a nice one. I don't personally have it, so I don't have much info on it, but it's on my "wanted" list, so I definitely think it's one to be aware of. (not my photo)
agastachegolden.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The first one is simply the most stunning of them all. @JBtheExplorer I must buy this camera. Have you invested in a black board to capture the essence of your beauty! Breathlessly beautiful!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a very long flowering lavendar blue check out Aster Frikartii Monch. Here it flowers from late June through to autumn, fairly resistant to pests and low maintenance. Another nominee although not really purple :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could try Aquilegia Royal purple. It will self seed given the right condition. Some purple iris (of which I will show you a flower later), Scilla Peruvian which is opening right now. cerinthe is also a good choice.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about this iris - very dark and mysterious
SAM_0120.JPG

Scilla Peruvian
SAM_0116.JPG

Ceanothus
SAM_0110.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wow, some great ideas here. Thanks for taking the time to answer, I definitely have a few more options than I did before!

TKP665

zone 9, ornamentals
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I usually do annuals by the mailbox, but we've redesigned the area and I'm considering planting perennials to be done with it.

The area gets full sun all day and the backdrop is kaleidoscope abelias. I think the bright purple of salvia blooms will pop nicely, but of course that is when it is in bloom. So, I’m wondering if anyone can offer advice as to any impressive blooming periods they may have experienced with any of the salvias or similar looking plants like veronica or even lavender.

I do prefer the mass planting look but I have also considered planting other purple flowered perennials together to have blooms in succession so that there will always be something in bloom.

I’m open to any and all considerations, so any advice is appreciated. I also have concerns about having to deadhead or look at ugly plants off season. Bees and hummingbirds are ok, but less is better of course.

Thanks!

Shelley NW Georgia zone 7b

Duranta blooming period is long. Taller than salvia, slower growing.

duranta-repens-geisha-girl.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought about agastaches like the kudos series? Mandarin, Gold, Yellow and others? Dwarf bushy and lomg flowering....and no dead heading needed. Bit taller are Raspberry Summer, Sangria, Tangerine, Summer Glow to name but a few (y)

Ask a Question