Succulent..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you class this as a good specimen?
20230416_192446.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I had a look in my book, they need a cool winter with lots of light to help them flower, and they're slightly toxic to cats, dogs and some humans :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I had a look in my book, they need a cool winter with lots of light to help them flower, and they're slightly toxic to cats, dogs and some humans :D
Thanks for the info.. I've gained this Jade plant to save it from being thrown on a bonfire!

I'm concerned I haven't the space to place it for enough sunlight, last thing I want is to rescue it to die slowly in my home. It's previous home was an orangery.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info.. I've gained this Jade plant to save it from being thrown on a bonfire!

I'm concerned I haven't the space to place it for enough sunlight, last thing I want is to rescue it to die slowly in my home. It's previous home was an orangery.

I've rescued a few cacti too :)

It'll be ok with lower light, it just might not flower so much. Being from the other hemisphere it thinks our winter is summer, quite a few of my Crassulas are flowering now, so if you can give it more light in the winter when other things are having a rest it'll be quite happy to take a back seat for the summer.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Turns out we've got one :eek:

Didn't realise that our Gollum plant is a Crassula ovata cv gollum :)

DSC04280.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No @RandallJ. Zigs has written it correctly.
1682092402176.png
This is Crassula ovata ''Gollom''
and......

Here is a Crassula ovata ''Hobbit''
1682092534162.png
I'm sure you'll get the hang of it eventually ;) ....I am also still learning

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
No @RandallJ. Zigs has written it correctly. View attachment 95587This is Crassula ovata ''Gollom''
and......

Here is a Crassula ovata ''Hobbit'' View attachment 95588 I'm sure you'll get the hang of it eventually ;) ....I am also still learning
And what exactly is the gollum and hobbit? Because the reason for the Latin terms are to be able to specifically identify. As far as I'm aware the crassula in the genus and ovata is the species. So to say crassula ovata is talking about a single, specific, sole plant. So unless the hobbit and gollum are ...variations of the ovata species I have no clue what you mean.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And what exactly is the gollum and hobbit? Because the reason for the Latin terms are to be able to specifically identify. As far as I'm aware the crassula in the genus and ovata is the species. So to say crassula ovata is talking about a single, specific, sole plant. So unless the hobbit and gollum are ...variations of the ovata species I have no clue what you mean.

The hobbit and gollum are variations (cultivars or "cv" for short) of the Crassular ovata.

Hope this helps, its from a school text at - https://ib.bioninja.com.au/standard...tem of nomenclature,which occur every 4 years

According to the binomial system of nomenclature, every organism is designated a scientific name with two parts:

• Genus is written first and is capitalised (e.g. Homo)
  • Species follows and is written in lower case (e.g. Homo sapiens)
  • Some species may occasionally have a sub-species designation (e.g. Homo sapiens sapiensmodern man)

Ask a Question