String of pearls and string of Dolphins maintenance

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi,

I have recently bought 1 string of peals and 1 string of diamonds online. When I received the packages, the plants seemed dry. I am from India and the weather here will be almost hot. I plan to keep the plants indoor. My doubt is, How can I keep these plants moist as these plants prefer dry spaces and require little water.

Please give me suggestions. The string o pearls is green in color but it seems dry. Please help me with the suggestions on keeping the plant moist and healthy.

pearls.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love String of Pearls in hanging baskets. Remember that String of Pearls is in the succulent family. They like living on the dry side of the moisture spectrum. Don't keep the soil wet all the time allow it to almost dry before water again.

String of Pearls plants enjoys bright, indirect light. They would love a window with an eastern or southern exposure! They love a spot that gets more direct light in the mornings and then more indirect light later through-out the afternoon. Make sure they get about 6 to 8 hours of sun a day to keep them thriving! Google

Reaction score
Country
United States
String of Dolphin are a succulent too and should be treated the same as String of Pearls.

Light needed. Although it can easily get sunburned in direct sun when grown outdoors, when grown as a houseplant, string of dolphins does best when it receives at least six hours of sunlight a day. A south-facing window is ideal, but it can adapt to medium light when grown indoors as well. Google

Reaction score
Country
India
String of Dolphin are a succulent too and should be treated the same as String of Pearls.

Light needed. Although it can easily get sunburned in direct sun when grown outdoors, when grown as a houseplant, string of dolphins does best when it receives at least six hours of sunlight a day. A south-facing window is ideal, but it can adapt to medium light when grown indoors as well. Google
Thanks a lot. Can you pleas tell me about the soil I need to use for both. I have cactus potting soil which I will use in ceramic pots for both the plants. I hope this is good mix. Any other things to mix, please let me know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks a lot. Can you pleas tell me about the soil I need to use for both. I have cactus potting soil which I will use in ceramic pots for both the plants. I hope this is good mix. Any other things to mix, please let me know.
Any regular succulent potting soil is acceptable for your string of pearls plants, but sandy with good drainage soil is the best. However, a good choice for this plant is a cactus potting mix. Remember not to plant your plants too deep in the soil. Plant it to the exact same level as the original soil line.

Reaction score
Country
India
Thank you oneeye, My string of pearls started to get new leaves but my string of dolphins is a bit odd. It is showing puffed marks at the soil portion of the plant but the leaves are a little puckered at the top. I have placed both my plants at the south corner window where it has sunlight but not direct heat. I watered it only once on 19th Aug and I need some tip to take care of it. I have attached a picture of it.

Attachments

• dolph1.jpg
    dolph1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you oneeye, My string of pearls started to get new leaves but my string of dolphins is a bit odd. It is showing puffed marks at the soil portion of the plant but the leaves are a little puckered at the top. I have placed both my plants at the south corner window where it has sunlight but not direct heat. I watered it only once on 19th Aug and I need some tip to take care of it. I have attached a picture of it.
Very gently tip the plant out of the pot and see what you have. If the soil crumbles you need more water frequency. If the soil is moist and stays together then let it dry more before watering again. Find the Sunnest place you can indoors don't move it around so it will acclimate to the environment.

Ask a Question