Using a string trimmer correctly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
In the last three weeks I put in a nice new wooden fence and bought a string trimmer.

How is a good way to trim along the fence without whipping the life out of the fence wood?

It almost seems like I want to walk backwards with the trimmer guard pressed against the fence. Weird but I tried it walking forward and it just didn't work that well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does the fence touch the ground? If so then it's going to be tough. If not then turn your trimmer on the side and run the string on an angle into the ground or just below the fence. For the posts cut the top and bottom off a 2-liter soda bottle then slice the bottle down the side. Now open the bottle and put it around the post to protect it. I find walking backward is easier too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like the throw to be away from me. I rotated the handle so the head is carried to my left side as I walk forward, so the major debri exits left. If I hook it around a tree to the right the tree gets in the way and helps protect me. My posts are a bit chewed in places. They are maybe 30 years old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks guys.

The trimmer is the DeWalt 20 V cordless. I don't know if a wire guard is available but can check.

The fence is a framed out hogpanel fence and we raised up some of the lower panels so just the posts are the problems now. For the most part. Attached is a pic of the back fence. On the other side of the house we have another 30 or so panels of fence.

Attachments

• BackFence2.jpg
    BackFence2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 71
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys.

The trimmer is the DeWalt 20 V cordless. I don't know if a wire guard is available but can check.

The fence is a framed out hogpanel fence and we raised up some of the lower panels so just the posts are the problems now. For the most part. Attached is a pic of the back fence. On the other side of the house we have another 30 or so panels of fence.
Unfortunately the trimmer you have does not have a adjustable guard to protect fences, posts, plants etc. The trimmer I have has a guard that can be rotated 360 degrees so you can trim in various directions and still protect your fence or plants. Your DeWalt trimmer seems to have a fixed guard in the rear to protect your feet only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks @Texas001 - yes the plastic guard is non-rotating. DeWalt has it designed and molded in with a socket then pinned with two screws.

But the idea of a wire guard could be made to work. If it becomes a problem I can fashion a guard / guide / cage.

I'm not too worried about protecting my feet - my every day shoes are steel toe 8" construction boots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the last three weeks I put in a nice new wooden fence and bought a string trimmer.

How is a good way to trim along the fence without whipping the life out of the fence wood?

It almost seems like I want to walk backwards with the trimmer guard pressed against the fence. Weird but I tried it walking forward and it just didn't work that well.
I have that same trimmer, mine's a real rock chucker. I catch one with my face now and then, and several smack in the lips even. And yet I haven't learned to wear a face shield yet

Myself I walk backwards, but not something I'd recommend, it's easy to trip. I did landscaping half my life, so it's habit. As long as it throws in the direction I'm headed so it leaves it cleaner by chucking the grass into the yard to be mulched. I'm happy.

If you can make a clamp on guard that would work, I'd do that but it may be more of a hassle to use. If not maybe pull a little dirt out form under your fence so your string can go under. It doesn't take much, like an inch?

Just an idea here, but the last house we lived at, I bought pavers, dug out the dirt and slid them under the fence line with a weed barrier beneath them using gutter nails to keep them in place here and there but the dirt kept it in place just fine. They can be cut with an angle grinder and a hammer. It kept the neighbors dog from digging under our fence. But I liked how it made trimming a breeze! After that I only did it once a month or less, becasue the mower could now get close to the edge of the grass grab and cut it off for me anyway - like a sidewalk edge. Just a thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have that same trimmer, mine's a real rock chucker. I catch one with my face now and then, and several smack in the lips even. And yet I haven't learned to wear a face shield yet

Myself I walk backwards, but not something I'd recommend, it's easy to trip. I did landscaping half my life, so it's habit. As long as it throws in the direction I'm headed so it leaves it cleaner by chucking the grass into the yard to be mulched. I'm happy.

If you can make a clamp on guard that would work, I'd do that but it may be more of a hassle to use. If not maybe pull a little dirt out form under your fence so your string can go under. It doesn't take much, like an inch?

Just an idea here, but the last house we lived at, I bought pavers, dug out the dirt and slid them under the fence line with a weed barrier beneath them using gutter nails to keep them in place here and there but the dirt kept it in place just fine. They can be cut with an angle grinder and a hammer. It kept the neighbors dog from digging under our fence. But I liked how it made trimming a breeze! After that I only did it once a month or less, becasue the mower could now get close to the edge of the grass grab and cut it off for me anyway - like a sidewalk edge. Just a thought.
I called Toro once and described the poor design to some young 20 year old female who could obviously not have cared less. I sold it, and recommend toro as a brand to be scorned for poor design. Imagine a gas tank so close to the exhaust that it heated the fuel to the boiling and bubbling of which erratic pressures of bursting bubbles played hell with the naturally aspirated carburatoon. A little further with the heat and you could be wearing a flaming suit. Imaginine being on fire whilst calling their help line.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys.

I don't know why but I didn't see that photo or read your thread as well as I thought. I guess my idea doesn't work. Woops! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I called Toro once and described the poor design to some young 20 year old female who could obviously not have cared less. I sold it, and recommend toro as a brand to be scorned for poor design. Imagine a gas tank so close to the exhaust that it heated the fuel to the boiling and bubbling of which erratic pressures of bursting bubbles played hell with the naturally aspirated carburatoon. A little further with the heat and you could be wearing a flaming suit. Imaginine being on fire whilst calling their help line.
Woah! That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Customer service isn't what it used to be.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have refined my perceived facts to include a real possibility that the computer designers of these product never actually use them.
Don't get me started! Ha! I'm find myself saying that exact same thing more and more the same on so many items or tools I've bought. And customer service,.. well it just usually isn't.

Just bought a new 'energy efficient' washing machine (after returning the first different brand) that's less efficient, does not wash clothes anywhere near as well and it can't handle large loads like our old Kenmore could, even though it's one of the larger capacity sizes. I miss my old one sooo much....:cry: I feel like I owe it an apology.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have refined my perceived facts to include a real possibility that the computer designers of these product never actually use them.
I'm a controls engineer so I start machines and get the mechanical parts moving with my automation code and sensors. More than once on each project I need to call out a mechanical designer to explain to me how something they designed should fit together or work. About half the time they mumble something like "it worked in CAD, I need to go back and look at it" when it clearly doesn't work or fit. I do this after I already know that there is no way the design will work as it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm a controls engineer so I start machines and get the mechanical parts moving with my automation code and sensors. More than once on each project I need to call out a mechanical designer to explain to me how something they designed should fit together or work. About half the time they mumble something like "it worked in CAD, I need to go back and look at it" when it clearly doesn't work or fit. I do this after I already know that there is no way the design will work as it is.

Mean old man!

Ask a Question