Steep hill planting

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the look I’m going for. I’m new to the south and learning all the new plants
Is taking a lot of time.
I have several magnolia plants they seem to do well.

Attachments

• D6B73497-0FDF-4650-8F27-FFC75BF4C510.png
    D6B73497-0FDF-4650-8F27-FFC75BF4C510.png
    349 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am working about 18 foot height plus the full length . The prep is what takes so much time removing the debris and rocks then smoothing it out to get a good foundation. Would like to have a arbor swing at the top of the hill. As you see I have a long way to go . I’m so glad I found this garden forum. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like your hillside is on its way to becoming a beautiful garden. The pic above is too blurry to identify the plants, but there are many possible plants that could be used to give you that general look. If you do need to make the soil deeper, or reduce erosion and runoff, you could also consider terracing parts of the slope and stabilizing the terraces with low retaining walls.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The window reflections add a lovely affect.
If the hill is in shadow in the morning, perhaps it faces north more than east?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see. The slope is at a northeastern angle. Anyway, it is an open, exposed slope that will get even more sun as days lengthen.
Actually, this type of slope is ideal for plants that want extra moisture as the suns rays strike more obliquely and be less likely to heat and dry the soil in Summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a very steep hill in my back yard.
Any suggestions to make it a useful space?
I have started adding pine straw, plants and a natural stone pathway.
Can you share with me any recommendations as to what wild flowers might work well or grass that won’t be overgrown over time?
I would definitely talk to a professional about the safety of your pathway, and if necessary, building a retaining wall below your pathway to avoid the pathway eroding over time. I would probably build a lean-against sort of shelter (again, consulting a professional's help) and use it as a greenhouse. I am thinking you could make it convertible to be a trellis in the summer and a greenhouse in the winter. If you want to provide me with some details, how long is the hill? What architectural style would you want this done in? I can draw my idea out for you. I would also need to know how far out the structure would have to be. In other words, how deep should the room be? I would gladly draw it out for you tomorrow (for free, I'm bored and want something to do), but I can't build it.

If you went through with this, you could grow vegetables there. I know this isn't what you asked for, but I think you should consider it anyway. Please DM me if you are interested or want more details.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Option 2: If your hill isn't steep enough for a lean against, you could dig out terraces and use retaining walls to make sure that the soil doesn't erode. I would recommend this if your hill is less steep and recommend my first idea if the hill is super steep. If you wanted to save on construction costs, you could also do a nonconvertible greenhouse OR trellis.

Ask a Question