Steep hill planting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a very steep hill in my back yard.
Any suggestions to make it a useful space?
I have started adding pine straw, plants and a natural stone pathway.
Can you share with me any recommendations as to what wild flowers might work well or grass that won’t be overgrown over time?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Please post a photos of the site and tell us more about the exposure and light throughout the day and year. I'm also curious to see how you built your stone pathway on a very steep hill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.
I'm also curious to see how you built your stone pathway on a very steep hill.
In a zig-zag to form natural terracing? Got to agree with Marck, it is difficult to make any sort of recommendation without knowing something more. You don't even say how big it is. What will grow on North facing and South facing will be exaggerated by the slope. Get a bit of a plan before you get started, you don't want it all sliding down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
1594442B-90BE-4253-AC42-9390DA9690E2.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is good that there is already grass growing on the slope as this will anchor the soil and prevent erosion.

Which direction does the slope face? In any case, it is bright, open terrain.

From what I can see so far, it looks like you have constructed a type of rockery. Do you wish to continue with this?

There are certainly a wide variety of plants and possibilities that might be considered. I don't see a stone path on the slope unless you mean that narrow band of rocks. With the retaining wall at the base it doesn't look like a surface that will be walked upon much, except by yourself, or whoever will do the gardening. Are you agile enough to consider stepping stones as a means of access?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The hill has a large amount of garnet slabs , I carved them out to put planters on the stone . A natural stone path way to meander kinda to the top that has a beautiful view. I was thinking something like wild flowers or lilies would add some color . I’m open for suggestions. I do like the idea of steps to get up the retaining wall would make the access much easier and enjoyable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did notice the areas of exposed rock. Is that stone garnet-mica schist? natural stone outcrops are very attractive, especially if the slope was planted as a rock garden. The stones could double as stepping stones as well. The soil on the slope may be quite if there are large areas of rock so near the surface. Low-growing rockery plants might do best. Rock gardens are a specialized type of horticulture, but one that can be very rewarding. There are many unusual, even rare garden plants that will only grow well in such habitat. Your idea of wildflowers and sounds ideal, especially smaller bulbs if the soil is shallow. There may be spots for lilies (Lilium) though they often prefer deeper richer soils.

Eastern exposure would be fine for plants that want full sun as well as some that might prefer half-day sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The soil does look thin and rocky. Ideal for rock garden plants, including succulents that are hardy enough. South Carolina is mostly quite mild, from USDA Zone 9 by the coast to USDA Zone 7 in the mountains.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to do seasonal and perennials.
I didn’t want to rush into do a lot until I had a plan in place. I was so excited to see butterflies and bumble bees this year!

Attachments

• EEF33EA8-B02A-4F9F-9B8A-AE7DDEF5F94D.png
    EEF33EA8-B02A-4F9F-9B8A-AE7DDEF5F94D.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it would be good to draw up a plan for the hillside. There is a lot of space to try different kinds of plants. Its seems like the soil may be much deeper in other spots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes , the soil is deeper but I have added top soil and compost to help my plants.
I tend to stick to the dwarf plants . I don’t want to be labor intensive.
My first butterfly! I was so happy !

Attachments

• 85D873A8-7D77-4268-80BA-66DAFA5B8E42.jpeg
    85D873A8-7D77-4268-80BA-66DAFA5B8E42.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wonderful to see.
It's a Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) nectaring on a Wood Sage (Salvia x sylvestris 'Mainacht', or a similar cultivar).

Ask a Question