St. Louis Inner City Xeriscape Horticultural Herb meditation garden ideas

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's entirely too productive alp, you're sounding like a pushy American businessman. Cindylou wanted a healing and meditation garden and that would be a whole lot closer to what the property can easily maintain. No on-site water means lugging in the worst weather, timely. Bustin' your back at just those times when one should be slowin' down with cookie and a beverage and a friend in the shade. (Can anyone tell what kind of tree is in the NW quadrant? It looks like an Elm being overtaken by a Tree of Heaven? It's important to keep and manage both the tall one and the encroacher for afternoon shade.)

Since most good herbs are essentially weeds, they will do well in sunny, hot, & dry conditions. Planted along the western fence line would give them all the maximum sun, air flow and the extra moisture of sidewalk run-off that would benefit them. Sidewalks also serve as rocks in a rock garden, absorbing excess heat in the hot portions of the day keeping it cooler, and radiating heat back after the sun goes down which moderates cool evenings of spring and autumn, extending the seasons.

Having a lot of space that would cost a small fortune to cover with stone or pavers makes Periwinkle ground cover a good bet. A Zen garden would have a contemplative field of orderly stones combed into some specific pattern with a few study pieces hither & yon. Doing it with Periwinkle as the stone field with dots of Painted Daisies, Black-eyed Susan, Shasta Daisy, Asters, etc. arranged into a Zen family could give you something to ponder any time during the growing season. That eastern brick wall is crying for a line of Hollyhocks of every color, and there is ample room for some monster Hostas between and north of the three trees. All of these critters can be had as the necessary divisions from volunteers' homesteads.

If the City has any old bus-stop benches and/or pick-nick tables someplace, they would be ideal spotted around the area singly or in facing pairs and spaced far enough from each other to accommodate disparate groups that want to gossip about each other. If the City doesn't have any of these fixtures available, you can send inquires to state and country parks authorities, too. The several groups are always cycling new equipment into service and often what they're replacing is still very serviceable. Maybe you could convince the city to kick-in a trash container because you will have an on-going need for clean-up, and regular pick up will help keep St. Louis clean.

Each of the several seating sites could have specific perennial or annual flowers that are Xeriscape types: a Prickly Pear seat, a Marigold seat, a sedum seat, a spring bulb seat, etc. (tulips will come back every year if, and only if, they are planted where they will have a dry period during summer. Dry, you got.).

I'm sure there are lots and lots of people with suggestions out there all over the world, just waiting for you to say go, so get them ducks in a row. And ask if the VFW would like to donate a modest flagpole. A 20' section of galvanized 1" water pipe set 24" in 1 bag of concrete will do it. Gotta have something to salute!
:giggle:;)

Healing and meditation garden - You can have sight, sound, scent .. Ooops running out of s.. Well, it would help to have lavender, rosemary, sage, fennel and dill as they give out wonder scents and lavender can be very soothing. How about that, @treeguy ? A pond with a tiny bubbling fountain can also be very relaxing.

Something that rustles in the wind and nice to touch .. One best way is to have a meditation group on Sunday or Saturday to practise mindfulness or mindlessness?! I have seen a group of Indian ladies chanting totally atonally .. I bet anyone who hasn't been sleeping very well will certainly lapse into slumber!

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
=============================
No, other pictures of the garden.
I won the Neighbors Naturescaping grant ($120 of planting materials)...which is only 12 tall grasses given to us by Brightside.

Brightside gave us volunteers from KPMG...they came out and helped to clean the lots and measure out each design area and MOBOT did a soil sample for each design area.
I'm pleased you got all this and now treeguy is helping you (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
:giggle:;)

Healing and meditation garden - You can have sight, sound, scent .. Ooops running out of s.. Well, it would help to have lavender, rosemary, sage, fennel and dill as they give out wonder scents and lavender can be very soothing. How about that, @treeguy ? A pond with a tiny bubbling fountain can also be very relaxing.

Something that rustles in the wind and nice to touch .. One best way is to have a meditation group on Sunday or Saturday to practise mindfulness or mindlessness?! I have seen a group of Indian ladies chanting totally atonally .. I bet anyone who hasn't been sleeping very well will certainly lapse into slumber!
Great ideas...
Can't have a bubbling pond though...not in our area...at least not just yet.

I do have the dry creek located in the Stumpery area. I've been talking with Nate @MOBOT who creates stumperies...he has been extremely helpful in choosing what will and won't work in our area. BoWood Farms also along with the conservation have given wonderful input.

Id like to participate in Wells Fargo community garden program.

I reached out to them too late last year for assistance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great ideas...

I do have the dry creek located in the Stumpery area. I've been talking with Nate @MOBOT who creates stumperies...he has been extremely helpful in choosing what will and won't work in our area. BoWood Farms also along with the conservation have given wonderful input.

You'll be first in line this year:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Great ideas...

Try your local monopolies, power and gas and so forth. Given a hint of political approval you will have power company chefs cooking crawdads for you in the summer. And of course other support. The botany at the power company would strike most people silly, but they have to interact with so much real nature its actually a thing.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hugelkulture

No, hugelkulture buries the wood. A stumpery is a different thing, the wood decays aboveground to provide habitat. https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/stumperies.10944/
~~~~~

The easiest things to grow in any area are the plants that are native to that area. (y) They are the ones most suited to live there, they want to live there! (They also help the environment more, the native pollinators evolved for them.) I saw that you do want certain plants, but if you have any wiggle room, I took the liberty of doing a bit of research for your area.

Here is a link to Missouri native perennials, suited for dry soil, that will grow to a maximum height of 6 feet. I did not specify any shade plants (2 hours or less of sunlight,) because you said the lot gets plenty of light. If you look down the right side of the page, you can reset the search for plants that bloom in different months or colors. (Might be cool to have a patch of blues, pinks, and purples, then another patch of reds, yellows, and oranges!)

As far as getting the community involved, I suggest reaching out to them through the children. (There are quite a few reasons I think that would work.) It might take a little longer to get the ball rolling, but why go to this much effort if you don't expect it to be there in five years?

I think kids are in the second or third grade when they learn the science about growing plants. I've read a thread in this forum from a mother asking what plant her child grew, because it did not look like what they said it would be - and she wanted to help it thrive - because her child grew it. (And that right there is your key! ;))

Might be worth a visit to your local elementary school! :D

If the kids (and by extension, their parents,) are partly responsible for "making that happen," they will take pride in their accomplishments. The kids will want to go see "their" plants. Schools are horribly underfunded, and someone willing to supply seeds and supplies for an educational project would not be refused. You could probably get donations from local businesses, especially if you think you could generate enough interest for a little write-up in the "Local" or "Metro" section of the newspaper! (If you have a Walmart close, I know they like to donate to projects like this. I've seen signs in their stores saying they donated to neighborhood projects.) I would also try writing letters to seed companies asking if they would donate some seeds. If every parent, teacher, and child knows that "XYZ company" donated seeds, then they will see that as a lot of cheap advertising and a tax write-off for a charitable donation.

I remember we also had a member that was in high school. I think he said he was in an Environmental Sciences class. :unsure: It might be worth a visit to the local high school, it's possible that you could collaborate with one of the teachers there.

I believe the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way.
Show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense of pride to make it easier

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Stumpery Old tree stumps lumped together

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No, hugelkulture buries the wood. A stumpery is a different thing, the wood decays aboveground to provide habitat. https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/stumperies.10944/
~~~~~

The easiest things to grow in any area are the plants that are native to that area. (y) They are the ones most suited to live there, they want to live there! (They also help the environment more, the native pollinators evolved for them.) I saw that you do want certain plants, but if you have any wiggle room, I took the liberty of doing a bit of research for your area.

Here is a link to Missouri native perennials, suited for dry soil, that will grow to a maximum height of 6 feet. I did not specify any shade plants (2 hours or less of sunlight,) because you said the lot gets plenty of light. If you look down the right side of the page, you can reset the search for plants that bloom in different months or colors. (Might be cool to have a patch of blues, pinks, and purples, then another patch of reds, yellows, and oranges!)

As far as getting the community involved, I suggest reaching out to them through the children. (There are quite a few reasons I think that would work.) It might take a little longer to get the ball rolling, but why go to this much effort if you don't expect it to be there in five years?

I think kids are in the second or third grade when they learn the science about growing plants. I've read a thread in this forum from a mother asking what plant her child grew, because it did not look like what they said it would be - and she wanted to help it thrive - because her child grew it. (And that right there is your key! ;))

Might be worth a visit to your local elementary school! :D

If the kids (and by extension, their parents,) are partly responsible for "making that happen," they will take pride in their accomplishments. The kids will want to go see "their" plants. Schools are horribly underfunded, and someone willing to supply seeds and supplies for an educational project would not be refused. You could probably get donations from local businesses, especially if you think you could generate enough interest for a little write-up in the "Local" or "Metro" section of the newspaper! (If you have a Walmart close, I know they like to donate to projects like this. I've seen signs in their stores saying they donated to neighborhood projects.) I would also try writing letters to seed companies asking if they would donate some seeds. If every parent, teacher, and child knows that "XYZ company" donated seeds, then they will see that as a lot of cheap advertising and a tax write-off for a charitable donation.

I remember we also had a member that was in high school. I think he said he was in an Environmental Sciences class. :unsure: It might be worth a visit to the local high school, it's possible that you could collaborate with one of the teachers there.

Still a form of hilling dear! Usually sprinkled with soil and moistened for mycology. I have one growing myself.

Your post made me look up this link HERE, given the described cultures revolving around the site. I would like to find the equivalent zones. There would be 5a plants that might have a more interesting backstory from the African continent that could be added as naturals and should do quite well, if the zones exist of course. If not, perhaps a habitat could be considered.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh! An eyesore... Brer Rabbit's briar patch without the thorns? A clean place for city rats? Am I missing something here"

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They do provide a lovely habitat for wildlife.

I remember going to Fountain Abbey and out of these pile of rubbish came a group of stoats (see video). Made my day - an unforgettable experience!

Ask a Question