Spider plants or Aloe Vera

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/8a
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at getting some indoor plants to improve the air quality, inspired by another thread on here. The problem is I have cats, so it does limit what I can get. It's not just about the cats safety either, as the plant needs to be tough. They will be as out of reach as I can put them, but anything that can't survive being hastily repotted after being knocked off a shelf is out.

I've narrowed it down to spider plants, which I've had before around another cat with no problems, or Aloe Vera, which I have never tried to grow. If you have any experience with these plants, please let me know. The other big problem in this house is aphids. I don't know how they do it, but they managed to get over my last couple of plants, and I had to move them outside. If either of these plants resist aphids, they would be ideal.

There's also Mother-in-law's tongue as a fallback, just on the grounds that my plant-sitter probably can't kill it, short of putting it in a microwave!

Advice would be welcome.

Last edited:

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
All of the plants you mentioned would be ideal. They are tough and easy and a spider plant can be hung from a ceiling hook, keeping it safely out of the cat's reach. I have 2 cats and I have over 30 houseplants. My little tabby liked to eat some of them, so I buy her cat grass and she has learned to just enjoy that and leave the others alone for the most part. My cats are also not allowed to jump onto counters and shelves, so teaching them rules is a big help. ... otherwise, some of my plants they don't even look twice at are dracaena, wandering jew, bird of paradise, aloe, jade, sansevieria, orchids, and monstera.... although all cats are different and some have weird tastes!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh I love spider plants! They grow so fast, so hearty, and can easily reproduce. I have to be careful where I put plants in my house due to the fact that my cat eats all types of plants. He hasn't really messed with the spider plant though which means he either hasn't found it yet, or he doesn't care about it's existence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Maybe my cat was just a weirdo, but he was obsessed with my spider plant. Even hanging up, where I thought he couldn't reach it, he managed to chew on it. My cats ignore my peace lilies and devil's ivy (pothos). I personally really like mother-in-law tongue (snake plant, we call it), because it's so low maintenance as long as it has enough light.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have always heard that spider plants were good for cleaning indoor air. I have never heard that about the aloe vera plant. The good thing is that both plants are hardy and do well indoors.

Ask a Question