Son's birthday present

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Our son has asked that we give him, for his birthday, a flowering shrub that would grow to a height of 3-4 feet when mature, and could live comfortably in the heavy clay soil that is typica in Oxford, England. The soil could be improved with some work on his part, but is not acid enough for azaleas, rhododedrons and the like.

Any suggestions would be gratefully considered.

Thank you,

Ross JENKINS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome To the Forum Ross. I’m Not real well versed on the shrubs but my daughter has a beautiful pink Hydrangea that she trims back to about 2 feet tall every spring. It grows well in our North Carolina clay soil and it seems to be quite cold hardy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have a nice shrub book, where you can cross check height, sun/shade zone etc flowering etc, and other great choices. would be nice to find one that blooms near his birthday, or in his birthday month. I am not seeing if this shrub will be in the sun, shade, or what zone to further assist.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome To the Forum Ross. I’m Not real well versed on the shrubs but my daughter has a beautiful pink Hydrangea that she trims back to about 2 feet tall every spring. It grows well in our North Carolina clay soil and it seems to be quite cold hardy.

Many thanks for this. We have two healthy hydrangeas on our terrace garden in France, and they are pink: I have tried everything to lake them flower blue, but they won'. I am not a great gardener yet!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Our son has asked that we give him, for his birthday, a flowering shrub that would grow to a height of 3-4 feet when mature, and could live comfortably in the heavy clay soil that is typica in Oxford, England. The soil could be improved with some work on his part, but is not acid enough for azaleas, rhododedrons and the like.

Any suggestions would be gratefully considered.

Thank you,

Ross JENKINS

I would go for an intersectional peony with enormous and stunning flowers. Not going to be too big and the flowers are big and spectacular. He could even divide and sell and make good money. It's an heirloom!

Or a box topiary which commands respect and adds age and credence to the property. £10 you can get a massive one. It is evergreen as well. There is one which has very elegant neat flowers, small but very refined.

Or a Camellia which is not very fussy. I have never added any ericaceous soil to my camellia bush, but this year it flowers profusely. I would go for Camellia Williamsii Debbie!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Ross JENKINS :)

How about Ceanothus? Some can be quite large, but you could get a smaller variety and they are easy to keep in shape.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would go for an intersectional peony with enormous and stunning flowers. Not going to be too big and the flowers are big and spectacular. He could even divide and sell and make good money. It's an heirloom!

Or a box topiary which commands respect and adds age and credence to the property. £10 you can get a massive one. It is evergreen as well. There is one which has very elegant neat flowers, small but very refined.

Or a Camellia which is not very fussy. I have never added any ericaceous soil to my camellia bush, but this year it flowers profusely. I would go for Camellia Williamsii Debbie!
Many thanks for these very helpful responses. I will pass them onto him as he will take some to make up his mind§

Ask a Question