Happy Birthday Colin!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
kartinki-s-dnem-rozhdeniya-detskie-191309.jpg

Wishing you all the best on your special day!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Birthday Colin :)

hb09.gif

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WOW; thanks everyone for your wonderful birthday wishes. :)(y)

Yes Upsy I've been spoiled rotten by Bron :D birthday and Christmas every year Bron asks of me what I would like and I can have anything at all; I'm forever working on home updates or in the garden so how about this for a prezzie from my Bron; it arrives tomorrow,

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Dewalt-Dew733-5011402272099-240V-Portable-Thicknesser-1800W

I'm seriously fed up with buying modern timber (lumber) which is rubbish; I buy planed timber but after it's been in the dry workshop two or three days I daren't open the workshop doors in case the timber decides to walk out because its moving so much; out of square and twisted so what is the point of buying planed timber; in future I'll buy sawn timber and plane it myself; I already have a small planer/ thicknesser but this new one will thickness big section timber and buying new this time will save me rebuilding another machine.

Here's another great prezzie I received this time from our best friends and included were other gifts; it was early Christmas for me yesterday and although the prezzies are most welcome it's having Bron and our friends which is most important. :)

https://www.turners-retreat.co.uk/woodturning-smock/p422

It's a shame to wear this smock but I'll be the smartest woodturner for miles around. (y)

Thanks DirtMechanic; you really know how to cheer up an old codger; :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: yes I'm now an official coffin dodger at 71; now I'm retired (for the last 17 years) not only do weeks fly by but years now fly by; we get up every morning at 7 o'clock; blink and go back to bed with another day disappeared.

Yes I sure had a good day; I had a rest though for a change; I only potted up 170 primroses but then I spent time online buying the planer and also other items I need for my current bungalow front entrance project.

Thank you all once again for your kindness; I feel quite humbled.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Happy birthday, Colin!

May the Lord Jesus bless you with His salvation.

And that your ears may be attentive to His voice.

"whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow.
For what is your life?
It is even a vapor that appears
for a little time and then vanishes away." - James 4:14

If there is something good I can wish to you, then there is nothing better than this.

"...believe that you receive them, and you will have them." - Mark 11:24
Blessings, blessings to you in Jesus' name!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks splinx for your spiritual blessings which I truly appreciate. :)(y)

You and I would be very good friends splinx because you obviously are highly religious in your beliefs whereas I don't believe at all in any religion and I don't believe in any god at all so we would have lots of fun whilst you tried to convert me to your faith.

Bron and I have friends who are Jehovah Witnesses and our lovely neighbour Carole too is highly religious (RC) but unlike the wars going on around the world we all rub along as friends should do. I tend to shy away from both politics and religion. It's kind of you to take the time in sending your best wishes; if everyone was as kind as you and as kind as members of this forum the world would be a much better place.

I don't wish to expand on either politics or religion after all I already corrupt this excellent gardening forum with lots of DIY. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Happy Birthday, if no one else got you something good, hope you went out and got something great for yourself anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
You and I would be very good friends splinx because you obviously are highly religious in your beliefs whereas I don't believe at all in any religion and I don't believe in any god at all so we would have lots of fun whilst you tried to convert me to your faith.
It is not about religion, it is about truth. There are many religions, but only one Truth.

Religion does not save, Truth saves and transforms.

"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me." - John 14:6

Obviously, I cannot force my faith in you. For now, it is one person less in heaven (unless you repent).

"Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of
the angels of God over one sinner who repents." - Luke 15:10

And that is what we all in heaven expects.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks La Garden; I sure received some wonderful prezzies as stated in post #7 and yes I'll be going out to get something great too for myself. :D(y)

This Saturday is Rufforth Auto Jumble once again; it's held the first Saturday of each month and to me it's like a candy store to a child; once there I buy lots of urgent items I didn't know I needed; my workshop is about bursting but somehow I always find space for a bit more. :)

Sorry splinx; no offence meant or inferred in any way but I won't go head to head with you regarding our differences in faiths. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
after it's been in the dry workshop two or three days I daren't open the workshop doors in case the timber decides to walk out because its moving so much; out of square and twisted so what is the point of buying planed timber;

Colin, would you please rephrase this in terms I understand? :unsure:

You are buying "green" lumber, which dries differently? That's my guess, but I'm not sure...

:confused:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry MaryMary for the confusion. Hopefully I can explain a bit better and add a picture which is better than text alone.

The timber I bought is redwood PAR (planed all round) kiln dried this is supposed to be ready for use being planed; the problem is the way this timber is treated from being felled to being bought by a customer; the idea of buying planed timber is to be able to use it straight away but unfortunately the timber now isn't fit for purpose; the timber is processed so quickly that it can look fine at the timber yard being true and straight in big packs but once in the workshop it adjusts to the dry air and not being correctly dried it starts to dry quickly distorting it badly making using it real nightmare; here's a few pictures of just how bad the timber is I bought;

DSC00887.JPG

This passes as dried PAR planed timber ready for use.

DSC00917.JPG

This is a very old fashioned but highly effective way to test if timber is winding; the cross pieces should be perfectly in line; my chum David reckons with a bit of whittling this timber would make excellent propellers?

DSC00918.JPG
DSC00921.JPG

It was an absolute nightmare working on my own to get this framework together; a great deal of force was required to pull the joints home; it was pointless returning the timber with a complaint because all our timber yards now stock this rubbish.

Front entrance_008.JPG

Here's the tenon cutting jig I made and the cheek cuts in the timber; because of the timber distortion it threw everything out. I'm so sick of this rubbish timber in future I'll buy sawn timber and plane it myself; Bron has just generously bought me a new thicknesser due to arrive tomorrow morning and I also have a small planer/thicknesser;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DeWalt-DEW733-240V-Portable-Thicknesser-1800W/351890928249?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=ed8e2cf8c7f8452ba6523e70592afebe&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=351890928249&itm=351890928249&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:dc761b6c-aaf4-11e8-9def-74dbd18094fc|parentrq:81ea1c321650aa66f76d5926fffd1e5b|iid:1

It's just been a huge struggle to move this project forward but I'm as stubborn as they come; the frame is now fully installed and today I gave it the first top coat of paint; tomorrow I can start to glaze it.

Front entrance_002_01.JPG

I'm amazed I managed to get the door assembled; I was in a right panic after applying the glue to the joints because it was so twisted; I had to wedge the parts between the benches and pull like mad just to get the joints to enter then I pulled the joints home using heavy duty sash cramps with a great deal of pressure; here the door is being sanded.

I hope this explains a bit better MaryMary; this poor timber has removed much of the pleasure from this project but I'll stick with it to the end; three local timber yards sell this poor timber so they must all buy from the same source?

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question