Someone told me that..... (re: fertilizer)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you grow them in flats outdoors I guess and bring them in at night? In Virginia it was so cold when I started my plants I wouldn't have been able to start any seedlings outside I don't think but maybe now that they are getting outside more and the temps are higher they will grow faster!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you grow them in flats outdoors I guess and bring them in at night? In Virginia it was so cold when I started my plants I wouldn't have been able to start any seedlings outside I don't think but maybe now that they are getting outside more and the temps are higher they will grow faster!
I start them indoors and as soon as they have leaves and the weather is OK I start taking them outside on anything I can find. Flats, cookie trays and an old Red Ryder Wagon. Many days it would be fine in the AM but by afternoon it would be too windy. I start the seeds in my old kitchen oven. It has a pilot light that stays on so it is really warm inside it. After they sprout I put them on shelves I made in front of a south facing glass patio door. They don't really get enough sun there which is why I feel I must take them outside. When I had my big garden in operation it became quite a chore to move 150 tomato plants inside each night but now that I can't work that garden anymore I am down to only moving about 40 or so, so its not that bad of a chore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I start them indoors and as soon as they have leaves and the weather is OK I start taking them outside on anything I can find. Flats, cookie trays and an old Red Ryder Wagon. Many days it would be fine in the AM but by afternoon it would be too windy. I start the seeds in my old kitchen oven. It has a pilot light that stays on so it is really warm inside it. After they sprout I put them on shelves I made in front of a south facing glass patio door. They don't really get enough sun there which is why I feel I must take them outside. When I had my big garden in operation it became quite a chore to move 150 tomato plants inside each night but now that I can't work that garden anymore I am down to only moving about 40 or so, so its not that bad of a chore.

Wow! Yeah 150 plants would be a lot! 40 or so is still a lot to me but much more manageable. Well I'm happy to know your trick so I can try and copy you and get great big healthy plants too! :giggle:Mine are at 4 hours of outdoor time today. Its overcast and 70 degrees so they are good. I will build up their time so they can spend all their days under the sunshine! No more living off grow lights...

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm a big fan of the Alaska fish fertilizers. I've been using them on my tomatoes with decent results so far. Anyone else using it ?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
That does help. There are just so many choices. I'll look at it like picking out a shampoo.. ha! They all clean your hair basically. So the fertilizers all feed the soil basically, which in turn feeds the plants. No real need to scrutinize over what is better that what. Just get the job done. I should however make sure whatever i get is organic and doesn't have really high numbers like the Langebenite did. Sound right? Sorta?
looks - right

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question