Same symptoms across spectrum of diverse vegetables... would someone please give an assist?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6A or 5B
Country
United States
bean.jpg

Hello!

We have a small vegetable garden in raised beds. Eight days ago we transplanted outdoors those that were started indoors. They all took off well as would be expected. But they are all beginning to exhibit symptoms of something. At first I thought it was powdery mildew or possibly a nutrient issue.

But rather than think I would like to know. It is zucchini, corn, pumpkins, sunflowers and pole beans that are effected. All are slightly less green that they ought to be, the new growth on the beans in particular look a lot like a nutrient deficiency and they all share the irregular small cream colored blotches on the first set of true leaves. FWIW, it has been rainy and cool the more often than not the past week.

Would some of you take a look at the attached photos and offer your thoughts? Thank you very much

Attachments

• corn.jpg
    corn.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 106
  • zucchini.jpg
    zucchini.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 123

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Looks like the sun came out just after it had rained on them, just looks like a bit of scorch, should be ok :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have old damage from some insect or possibly scorch but the main problem is nutritional. Your plants are becoming chlorotic, probably nitrogen. fertilize with a good organic fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6A or 5B
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies, everyone!

A couple of curious things, to me at least, is that the plants have been in brand new soil mix for only one week (since transplanting outdoors) which does not seem enough time to exhaust the existing nutrients in the soil, especially for plants so small.

Secondly, the beans and corn (and the rest) exhibit the same symptoms and yet are different requirements in terms of nutrients, at least Nitrogen.

Anyone care to elaborate a bit more? Maybe Chuck?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the replies, everyone!

A couple of curious things, to me at least, is that the plants have been in brand new soil mix for only one week (since transplanting outdoors) which does not seem enough time to exhaust the existing nutrients in the soil, especially for plants so small.

Secondly, the beans and corn (and the rest) exhibit the same symptoms and yet are different requirements in terms of nutrients, at least Nitrogen.

Anyone care to elaborate a bit more? Maybe Chuck?
When a plant starts to become yellow it is usually because it is lacking in some nutrients. Usually, it is nitrogen but it can be anything from iron to zinc and anything in between. I don't know what your soil mix is or whether it has macro-nutrients (NPK) or even micro-nutrients such as iron or manganese. Most soil mixes are mostly organic materials with no added supplements. Having said this, many times young plants are unable to uptake available nutrients for a variety of reasons but as they get older they are and will lose the chlorotic look. This usually happens on older growth while at the same time the new growth is yellow. But, not on such a wide variety of unrelated plants. If all of these plants are showing the same thing there is something missing in what they are planted in and the only way to fix this problem is to fertilize. If it were me I would do two things. I would scatter organic pelleted fertilizer all over the soil first and second I would sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of bloodmeal around the base of the plants that are turning yellow and water it in well. I am sure that the yellowing is a lack of nitrogen and the bloodmeal will give the plants a good jumpstart. If the veins in the leaves of the plants were green and the rest of the leaf turning yellowish it would probably be a lack of iron or manganese or some other trace mineral and I would use something else such as Chelated Iron.
A plant will only uptake what it can use. Some plants require more of a particular nutrient than others. When using organic fertilizers it is difficult to use too much which is the opposite of synthetic fertilizers. Beans, for instance, require less nitrogen because they are a nitrogen fixing plant but they still need nitrogen. Corn needs more nitrogen than most other vegetable plants. Then there is calcium which all plants need, again some plants need more than others. The same thing with potassium. This is why it is important to fertilize even brand new soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6A or 5B
Country
United States
When a plant starts to become yellow it is usually because it is lacking in some nutrients. Usually, it is nitrogen but it can be anything from iron to zinc and anything in between...
Thank you Chuck, very much, for the time and effort to give such a detailed and considered response.

Ask a Question