Someone Please Explain the Logic!?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My local news station ran a story today about on how you can save lives of migrating birds at night by turning off your lights. This is the fall migration season for birds and many of them fly at night to avoid predators. Night lights can screw them up and cause them to fly in circles and such.

I garden for birds and do a lot of things to make their lives easier, but how are my lights hurting the birds when you think of all the city lights up and down the east coast. o_O https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...f-your-lights-at-night-can-save-a-birds-life/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The bigger buildings are MUCH more dangerous to birds than your lights — they make it look like they can fly through the buildings and are more distracting being up high where the birds are. Since they use moonlight and starlight to navigate any other light throws them off, because light is light whatever the source.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Birds evolved from dinosaurs. They use their wings. All of the electric light we use can confuse them. In order to give them any help, and especially at certain times of the year the more people who dim their lanterns the better. It would be a group exercise, and one that won`t happen in all probability, because there aren`t enough people who actually care enough.
In our village there are no street lights, and not much bright light outside the houses at all. We have lucky birds.

https://journeynorth.org/tm/NightLights.html here is a link to read (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The clue here is "Local News Station." Sometimes there's not a lot of new, s so they'll fill the time with anything that they think might get a bit of attention. "Controversy" often works.
But the situation is the same in much of the media.

What they are saying is nothing new. The problem has been around for birds for decades. Even for hatching turtles. Their natural instinct is to head towards the sea as the sky is usually brighter than over the land. But some head towards the lights of roads and buildings inland.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Every household around my area could turn off their lights and it wouldn't make a bit of difference with all the city lights that can be seen for miles and miles from all directions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And every little bit helps. No, you by yourself will not have a tremendous impact, but just like global warming it all adds up.
Just because “nobody else is changing” doesn’t mean you can’t. Think globally, act locally. If not you, who? If not now, when?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is not about other people not changing; I do a lot of things that I know a lot of people aren't doing, but I keep it up. Recycling is a good example of this.

I say again.

Every household around my area could turn off their lights and it wouldn't make a bit of difference with all the city lights that can be seen for miles and miles from all directions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are fortunate to live in a very rural area, but for some reason farmers like to have those ghastly sodium lights near their barns and silos. Is that to help rustlers and thieves see what they are getting?
When we moved here one of the first things we did was remove the outside light on the barn, and have the sodium light on a pole disconnected.
We have some nocturnal birds which we hear when we wake up during the night. We also have coyotes, deer, and bobcats. That's fine. They see in the dark better that we do, and I don't feel compelled to provide extra light for them;)!

Ask a Question